About Us:Comprised of the Accraply, Graham | Sleevit, Harland, Stanford and Trine brands, Accraply unites some of the most trusted names in product decoration and material converting. Known for our cutting-edge technology and innovative custom-engineered designs, Accraply has been credited with many industry firsts, and advances in application and converting technologies. Accraply, a Barry-Wehmiller Packaging Systems company, is a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and support of pressure-sensitive (self-adhesive), roll-fed and shrink sleeve label application systems, as well as converting and finishing equipment, for the shrink sleeve and flexible-packaging markets.
Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of engineering consulting and manufacturing technology for the packaging, corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries. By blending people-centric leadership with disciplined operational strategies and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a $3 billion organization with nearly 12,000 team members united by a common belief: to use the power of business to build a better world.
The Application Engineering Manager plans, organizes, and directs the Applications and Sales Support team. This position assists the sales team by conceptualizing, pricing, and presenting system solutions to top-tier pharmaceutical, food, personal care, beverage, and converting customers worldwide. The position also plays a key role in driving our business forward by providing technical and commercial sales support in the field while also serving as a liaison between outside sales and internal operations. The role calls for depth of knowledge, experience, and the use of best judgement to provide technical and commercial guidance to both customers and sales executives.
- Assign members of the Application Engineering team to specific projects, jobs, or tasks.
- Assess the current state of applications engineering practices and plan, develop, organize, implement, and execute a strategy for applications engineering and sales support.
- Collaborate with Sales and Engineering teams to determine the system requirements of customer requests and develop solutions that best fit their expectations.
- Prepare cost estimates and pricing quotations to meet customer requirements.
- Be a technical thought leader and effectively convey technical pricing strategy.
- Maintain and update all pricing logs in collaboration with Engineering and Sales leadership.
- Prepare and maintain proposal documentation with supporting materials for consistency across Accraply and Barry-Wehmiller.
- Partner with Project Management and Engineering to transfer ownership of the system details and documentation after the sale.
- Act as a Technical Liaison when traveling with the Sales teams in the field.
- Maintain library of sales literature, pictures, and movie files for use by Sales and Engineering teams.
- Track industry trends, relevant legislation, and competitor activities.
- Support the consolidation of Accraply product lines and scale its products and processes to a world class level.
- Inform and align around strategic decisions and ensure we are operating on the right principles, strategy, and roadmaps to build out our product lines.
- Drive an environment of continuous improvement and provide organizational support and structure to lead sustainable change within the engineering function, while also providing a robust underpinning for ongoing new product development and project/commercial execution.
- Set up and maintain machine display and demo area.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Sound working knowledge of labeling, converting, conveying, and material handling systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of line performance, efficiency, and output.
- Clear communication skills to translate technical offerings with coworkers and customers.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to applications and sales support team members.
- Hold team members accountable for their performance, and behavior.
- Provide continuous feedback and goal setting conversations.
- Coaching and career development.
- Talent acquisition.
- Recognize and celebrate successes.
- Demonstrated effective leadership (both direct and through influence) across multiple locations and work groups.
- Align with the Packaging Platform to maximize connectivity and sharing with sister divisions.
- BS engineering or similar field is required
- 7+ years’ experience in Engineering or Applications Engineering with experience building and leading Applications Engineering teams
- Experience in capital equipment, or complex systems manufacturing is desired
- A proven track-record of leading teams and identifying areas of improvement across an organization, implementing corrective actions and best practices when necessary
- Travel domestically or internationally by air or car up to 30%
The following competencies will differentiate top candidates:
- Critical thinking and decision quality
- Results and performance focused
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, honesty, and capability
- Drives results: Sets compelling goals and aggressive schedules for improvement in all facets of the function, and delivers on commitments
- Makes timely decisions when a quick response is required and makes tough business decisions based on the facts of the case
- Competitive spirit and drive to win. Strong sense of initiative, internal motivation, and an unrelenting focus on results
- Openness to feedback and coaching with a strong orientation towards continual learning and improvement ability
- Capacity to function in a complex, global company with ease and fluidity, while driving and influencing results
- Process thinker
- Typically sits, grasps items, and performs keyboarding for operation of a computer
- Stand, walk, bend, reach or otherwise move about
- Lift, move, or otherwise transfer items up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- Occasional exposure to typical machine shop physical hazards
At Barry-Wehmiller we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. We know that our differences often can bring about innovation, excellence and meaningful work—therefore, people from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodations during the interview process.
Barry-Wehmiller is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V This organization uses E-Verify.
Applicants may be subject to pre-employment screening which may include drug screening, reference checks, employment verifications, background screening and/or skills assessments.