Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Group Exercise Instructor is responsible and accountable for planning, conducting, and evaluating high quality classes in the designated department at the appointed YMCA of Greater Kansas City. The Group Exercise Instructor is also responsible for informing and serving YMCA members and volunteers in a premier fashion. He or she is expected to emphasize member service, character development, the mission statement and to work with membership retention and promotion.
- Contribute to the overall YMCA mission of healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
- Lead and teach water exercise classes and programs for all members and participants of all abilities and levels.
- Responsible for staying current with the center announcements and information.
- Must maintain safety in all classes by following YMCA and national certification guidelines.
- Know and understand the pool area for safety reasons along with emergency procedures of the building.
- Responsible for injury/accident reporting procedures.
- Must notify appropriate staff of any unsafe conditions, needed repairs, complaints, accidents, or injuries immediately.
- Assist in the recruitment of volunteers for all classes and programs.
- Keep current with knowledge of all areas of training and certifications as well as YMCA of Greater Kansas City employee handbook.
- Attend community functions and events to promote the YMCA, its mission and programs.
- Must be a team player when working with other staff of the appointed YMCA center.
- Maintain a safe and clean pool environment.
- Assist in the ideas for marketing, retention and sale initiatives for aquatics fitness programs and members.
- Track water fitness participant numbers
- Participate in the Annual Mission campaign.
- Responsible for updating all certifications.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Minimum one year teaching experience.
- American Safety and Health Institute certifications:
- Current First Aid.
- Current CPRPro (includes AED)
- Current Emergency Oxygen.
- Able to relate and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner.