Under the routine guidance of supervisory staff, the Archaeological Technician II performs archaeological fieldwork inclusive of survey, site recording, excavation, and/or monitoring.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs pedestrian survey for the identification of historic and prehistoric archaeological remains
- Performs in-field analysis and documentation of archaeological artifacts and features
- Assists with resource photography and mapping in the field
- Navigation and GPS data collection using Trimble units (knowledge of ArcPad is a plus)
- Prepares California DPR-523 site forms
- Conducts subsurface testing of archaeological resources through systematic excavation
- Conducts archaeological monitoring
- Takes initiative, resolving problems, and creating improved procedures to assure tasks are completed in the most effective manner
- Assists with mapping responsibilities in the field, including collection of GPS data using Trimble units
- Bachelor’s Degree in archaeology, anthropology or a related field
- 1-2 years work related experience
- Valid Driver’s license
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Logic and reasoning skills to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Learning skills to understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Knowledge of ArcPad and Trimble unit
- Some sedentary work is performed in an office setting.
- Outdoors. Rugged to extremely rugged terrain in extreme temperature ranges, often in uninhabited areas.
- Must be able to walk 8-10 miles a day with field pack and ample water, over rough terrain in variable weather conditions which likely will include high temperatures in summer months.
- A portion of the duties require working outdoors under extreme temperature, strenuous physical effort associated with hiking during archaeological reconnaissance and surveys
- Climbing steep slopes, and physical labor such as stooping, bending, carrying loads in excess of 50 pounds associated with archaeological excavation work.
Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. is a proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V.