The Asset Protection Detective’s primary responsibility is to prevent the loss of company property while maintaining a safe business environment. Support store’s efforts in providing the best customer service within a controlled environment so as to ensure maximum sales at the highest profit rate attainable. Under general supervision and established procedures, the Asset Protection Detective detects and apprehends shoplifters and dishonest employees.
Macy’s uses a scheduling plan that allows our associates to participate in the creation of their work schedules by managing availability and identifying preferences. Additionally, during key events and peak selling times, Macy’s may offer additional shifts to our associates, which they may pick up using the self-scheduling tool. Details on Macy's schedule options are available during the interview process.
- Respond to customer and associate incidents to facilitate first aid and minimize company liability
- Recover stolen merchandise and apprehend shoplifters and other people who commit fraud or other criminal acts against the company
- Investigate criminal violations against the person or property of any customer or associate that is committed on company premises
- Prepare prompt and complete reports relative to all theft incidents, merchandise recoveries, accident investigations, audits, and other activities as assigned by the Asset Protection Manager
- Have knowledge of and maintain strict compliance with the law and company policies concerning apprehensions, searches and seizures, and the preservation of evidence
- Promote shortage awareness and theft deterrence among associates by conducting meetings and participating in training events
- Successfully complete all Asset Protection training requirements including CPR and First Aid and maintain personal certifications as required by law
- Conduct audits to ensure sales department compliance to merchandise exposure standards and asset protection policies
- Testify in court concerning any case, criminal or civil, wherein the company is a party of interest to which the Asset Protection Store Detective is summoned
- Works on special assignments, investigations, and surveillance as directed by Store Asset Protection Manager
- Responds to alarm conditions at assigned store
- Perform other duties as necessary
- Follow shortage programs and procedures
- Perform these functions in an efficient manner, as directed by the Supervisor
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Some college is desirable.
• Completion of Store Detective Training program required upon assignment to position.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Able to use a calculator.
• Self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team and must have good time management skills.
• This position involves constant moving and standing. Involves standing for at least two consecutive hours. Involves lifting at least 30 lbs. May occasionally involve reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders. May involve reaching above eye level.
• Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Must be able to operate cameras and other surveillance equipment.
• Ability to think and act clearly in possible stressful and hostile situations.
• Ability to collaborate and function as a member of a team.
• Must possess a strong sense of urgency.
• Should be comfortable with the use of computers and frequent use of RF equipment.
• Flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.