Reports To: Head Coach
The coach helps students achieve a high level of skill and an appreciation for the values and discipline related to the sport or activity and sportsmanship. The general safety and welfare of each participant shall be the primary concern. The coach provides leadership and coordination in the assigned activity or sport.
- Applicants must meet the Kansas Department of Education certification requirements, or
- Meet the requirements of the Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA) Rule 10.
Physical/Emotional Requirements: (The incumbent may be required to use thefollowing skills and abilities during any part of the working day.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to interact with staff and to meet demands from several people. The employee is responsible for the work output of others. On occasion, the employee may be required to work extended hours.
- Oversees tryouts and selects participants in accordance with established guidelines
- Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for achievement in the sport
- Plans and schedules a regular program of practice
- Works closely with the Activity Director and/or Assistant Principal in scheduling contests, practices, meets, and competitions
- Recommends equipment, supplies, and uniforms for purchase
- Prepares and adheres to approved budget
- Maintains attendance forms, insurance records, physical forms, and other required paperwork
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport or activity is conducted and when students are present
- Establishes performance criteria for eligibility in interscholastic competition for the sport or activity
- Attends required meetings of the KSHSAA
- Fulfills test requirements of the KSHSAA
- Arranges for transportation
- Maintains an accurate inventory of equipment, uniforms, and supplies
- Communicates effectively and promotes positive interpersonal relationships
- Informs students of school policies, activities, eligibility, and team rules
- Distributes and cares for equipment
- Establishes a sound program of injury prevention
- Ensures supervision for all contests, meets, and practices
- Submits budget requests to the building principal
- Supervises participants after practice, meets, or games until their transportation home is ensured
- Supports the District's educational mission for all students and implements all Board regulations and policies in a fair and equitable manner
- Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as the superintendent or designee may assign
Terms of Employment:
Salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board policy.
The performance responsibilities are not limited to those outlined in this description and may include any other responsibilities as assigned by the administrator/supervisor.