FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for the position of Assistant Coach - Men's Basketball in the Department of Athletics.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
This position is responsible for providing assistance and support to the Head Coach - Men's Basketball and the college's men's basketball program.
- Assist with managing the men's basketball program budgets, including scholarship, travel, operating, and equipment budgets.
- Assist with practices; instruct players.
- Recruits student athletes; attends high school games; evaluates players; communicates with coaches and players.
- Assists with advising and monitoring the academic progress of student athletes.
- Assists with scheduling practices and games.
- Assists with coordinating team travel including coordinating meals and hotels; reserves transportation for away games; prepares expense reports and travel authorizations.
- Assists with fundraising events and programs.
- Ensures compliance with NCAA and SIAC rules.
- Assists with summer basketball camp.
- Supervises part-time staff and student workers.
- Performs related duties.
- Baccalaureate degree.
- One year of related experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations governing intercollegiate sports.
- Knowledge of college-level athletic program management principles.
- Knowledge of basketball rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of student recruitment principles.
- Knowledge of NCAA and SIAC rules.
- Demonstrate skills in the coaching and training of student athletes.
- Demonstrate effective skills in oral and written communication.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.