PN#23073 ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The City of Houston's Department of Housing and Community Development (HCDD) works to create safe, stable, and complete communities by funding projects related to affordable homes, public facilities, economic development, public services and infrastructure. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD seeks to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout.
HCDD is seeking an Assistant Director (EXE) to join its team as our Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee the department's financial/accounting, and procurement sections. The Chief Financial Officer works closely with the Department Director to develop and implement strategies impacting the financial strength of the department and the City of Houston. This position will oversee HCDD's day-to-day financial operations and will play a critical role in partnering with the executive team in strategic decision making and managing financial operations.
- Providing leadership, direction, coaching, and development for personnel performing Finance and Procurement functions.
- Developing and administering fiscal policies based on sound financial management practices and consistent with effective financial, accounting, fund management, and financial stewardship principles.
- Establishing fiscal controls necessary to manage the day-to-day operations for budgeting, accounts payable, draw/reimbursement, and procurement functions and ensures these functions are successfully carried out in full compliance with all state, federal, local, or other requirements.
- Initiating development and use of best-practice policies, standard operating procedures, and tools to ensure strong and well-controlled operations management, cross-team communication, and work flow.
- Strengthening the quality of financial reporting and producing accurate and timely financial information to support the department's annual report and to inform required grant reporting.
- Utilizing strategic thinking in establishing a comprehensive departmental budget and financial plan and to create accurate expenditure forecasts.
- Establishing a culture of collaboration, cooperation, customer service, accountability, and high-performance and managing the team toward achievement these goals.
- Translating complex subject matter into policy guidance.
- Analyzing complex operational and administrative problems, evaluating alternatives and recommending or adopting effective courses of action.
- Evaluate performance of personnel in the Finance division, recommending training, and keep staff at highest level of skill necessary to meet department's needs and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Ability to effectively communicate and manage well at all levels of the department
- Problem solving: Ability to exercise sound judgement and make decisions based on timely and accurate information
- Critical Thinking: Displays well developed analytical skills, with an ability to make reasoned judgments that are logical and well-thought out
- Motivated: High sense of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency
The position is physically comfortable, the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.