Assistant Director of Adult Education
Job Code: 1252
Department: Adult and Continuing Education
Division: Career and Technical Education
Reports to: Director of Adult and Continuing Education
Positions Supervised: Adult Education instructors and administrative staff
Location: Main Campus
Responsible for the supervision of the Adult Basic Education programs, including AO-K and non-credit education programs and events.
- Administer all aspects of the Adult Education program including effective supervision and leadership of the full-time and part-time Adult Education instructors and administrative staff
- Research, develop and implement curriculum improvements for all program components
- Manage all Adult Education program sites
- Maintain and revise the Adult Education Policy Manual according to Kansas City Kansas Community College Employee Policies and Procedures, the KCKCC Student Handbook, and policies set forth by the Kansas Board of Regents and the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education of the U.S. Department of Education
- Coordinate the Accelerating Opportunity-Kansas program including meeting with and assessing prospective students and assisting them with enrollment into TEC programs. The duties will also include overseeing AO-K instructors and collaborating with TEC instructors and staff
- Develop and implement orientations for new Adult Education instructors
- Complete all reports, funding renewals, grants and other paperwork required by the Kansas Board of Regents
- Work with the Director to seek additional funding opportunities for the Adult Education Program to enhance services for Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties
- Be well versed in the TABE assessment system along with the instructional lesson plans and syllabi to ensure quality programming for students
- Manage the AESIS State Adult Education database to ensure the reporting is complete, accurate and meets expectations set forth by the Kansas Board of Regents
- Manage the Adult Education budgets with the various sources that fund the program, and complete reimbursement of the grants on a time basis
- Plan and conduct regular staff meetings
- Work with community partners to provide adult education services in collaboration with community-based organizations, local school districts, local libraries, or other sites as requested
- Collaborate with Workforce Partnership, the Division of Children and Families, Vocational Rehabilitation, and other agencies to provide services by WIOA and KBOR policies in Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties
- Advise students regarding academic and behavior/discipline issues and mediate instructor/student conflicts promptly
- Attend KBOR program leader meetings, and other adult education related trainings and conferences as directed
- Keep current in the areas of Adult Education to expand new programs as appropriate by the guidelines set by the Kansas Board of Regents
- Serve as a Pearson Vue Examiner Liaison
- Identify new and competitive marketing strategies that promote the procurement and retention of adult education students
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- Bachelor’s degree required in Education or related field
- Two (2) years demonstrated teaching experience
- Three (3) years supervisory experience
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Master’s Degree in Education, Business, Leadership, or other closely related field
- Five (5) years demonstrated teaching experience
- Five (5) years supervisory experience
- Five (5) years working in a business/industry sector, preferably in a leadership or managerial role
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
40 hours per week, during regular hours of Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Must be able to work a variable schedule/hours to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: Grade 15
Compensation: $51,770 - $64,713
Employee category: Staff
Position Type: Full-Time
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the initial screening date, minimum qualifications, and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- If the position lists a required transcript (during the application process) unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.