The Assistant General Counsel will be a trusted legal advisor and a member of the leadership team for ABM’s Business and Industry West (BNI) - West and Education (EDU) business lines, which have a large presence nationwide. The AGC Commercial for BNI-W & EDU will provide commercial contracts advice and counsel (draft, review and negotiate) and oversee commercial litigation and disputes, including collections, customer bankruptcies and law suits for BNI-W & EDU. Additionally, the position will support M&A and compliance for the business group, and help coordinate employment and labor legal matters within the ABM legal department.
Primary Focus Areas
- Responsible for all legal advice and counsel to Westcoast senior management of BNI-W and nationwide senior management for EDU.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating of all commercial contracts for BNI-W & EDU, including sales contracts and RFPs, subcontracts, vendor agreements, joint ventures, and NDAs.
- Overseeing and managing commercial litigation and disputes for BNI-W & EDU.
- Supporting strategic business transactions, including M&A, partnership agreements, JVs and teaming arrangements and franchising.
- Coordinating legal issues with Employment and Labor attorneys supporting this division.
- Supervising and/or assisting on compliance matters related to regulated businesses.
- Directing and coordinating outside legal counsel as necessary, including rigorous outside legal cost management.
*Job duties may be revised at any time.
- Juris Doctorate
- Licensed to practice law; admitted and in good standing with state bar of California (or willing to get licensed with the state bar of California)
- Minimum seven (7) to ten (10) years of commercial law experience and or law firm experience required. Supplemental in-house experience highly desirable
- Significant experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior management on complex legal issues Ability to prioritize effectively and efficiently including managing competing priorities and meeting deadlines, along with serving clients in a commercially minded manner
- Demonstrated self-starter who is comfortable working with key business contacts on a daily basis
- Work regularly in ABM's LA office