Intrepid seeks an Assistant General Counsel to support our business development efforts as the company continues to grow and diversify. This attorney will primarily be responsible for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal documents for complex acquisition and other business development transactions. The ideal candidate will have strong contracts experience within the oil and gas industry.
Essential Job Functions
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of legal documents for complex acquisitions and other business transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, letters of intent, term sheets, confidentiality agreements, exchange agreements, joint operating agreements, partnership agreements, participation agreements, land and water lease agreements, and various other land-related agreements, such as assignments, easements, and access agreements.
- Participate in the deal process from start to finish to ensure that Intrepid’s best interests are represented.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders and provide advice and counsel regarding appropriate legal actions, including actions relating to water, land, regulatory, risk management, dispute resolution, and contract management.
- Provide legal support and advice to management regarding transactional and operational risks associated with Intrepid’s assets.
- Oversee legal due diligence relating to business development activities.
- Manage outside legal counsel, as required, in the most cost-effective manner.
- Remain current on constant changes within the legal and regulatory environment and communicate regarding potential corporate impact.
- Manage functions relating to government relations, particularly in New Mexico.
- JD degree with a strong academic record.
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado or New Mexico.
- 6+ years of experience at a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Strong transactional background, including experience with companies working in the oil and gas industry.
- Ability to independently research and analyze issues and provide clear guidance to internal stakeholders regarding potential legal risk.
- Ability to think strategically and to appreciate the business impacts of different legal courses of action.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills; must be able to interact with, and inspire confidence in, individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time with some travel at a moment's notice.