The Assistant General Manager (“AGM”) has supervisory authority over the gym employees and reports to the General Manager. The AGM is accountable to the General Manager for reaching gym membership goals, the personal training operation and reaching gym revenue objectives. The AGM is responsible for establishing and communicating a compelling ideal for the sales team, ensuring an environment where all Fitness Consultants (FC’s) grow and produce, including providing direction, coaching and corrective actions to FC’s as deemed appropriate by the AGM. Finally, the AGM ensures Fitness Consultants (FC) provide a friendly, educational and pleasant experience for all prospective members during gym visits.
- Plan and assign the work of the gym staff
- Develop and direct the various sales and prospecting strategies for the Sales Team in order to meet daily, weekly and monthly objectives
- Participate in the development and management of budget for the gym.
- Participate in the interviewing, hiring, compensation, discipling and termination of employees.
- Ensure compliance with safety and health obligations to employees and, members
- Oversee asset management, including maintenance and repair of gym equipment
- Offer assistance to new and old members alike on the floor
- Ensure the gym employees maintain the gym so that it is neat, organized and clean according to minimum company standards at all times
- Provide direction and support for the Personal Training (“PT”) department, front desk and Kids Club
- Develop and implement daily and weekend game plans for the GM.
- Manage office/janitorial supplies for gym
- Provide direction on building Maintenance when GM is not onsite
- Always maintain and display a professional demeanor
- Uphold professional standards during all decision-making situations
Maintain an involved and dynamic team that promotes company values and goals. Provide consistent accountability for all direct reports through training and coaching. Recognize good performance and administer discipline when necessary. To achieve this objective, the AGM will participate in FC and employee selection by reviewing applications, interviewing and making reliable and effective hiring recommendations to the General Manager (“GM”) and District Manager (“DM”). The AGM will keep the gym fully staffed with qualified SC’s to appropriately meet Sales Department needs.
Train and advise the Sales Team on how to generate leads/new business through member promotions, leads, referrals and guest passes. Develop related strategies to direct Sales Team in meeting objectives and goals. Counsel SC’s on delivering a personalized, interactive tour and utilizing all company membership tools supporting new member enrollment and follow-up. Develop and apprise the Sales Team of current marketing campaigns to effectively communicate the same to members and prospective members.
Manage Sales Team performance by directing and monitoring Sales Team activities and coaching demeanor and creating an ambitious working atmosphere. Conduct weekly (or as-needed) gym meetings with direct reports to review performance and offer strategies, leadership, motivation and guidance toward reaching personal and company goals. Direct management team in setting monthly, weekly and daily targets that are challenging but obtainable. Offer career growth and advancement opportunity to FC’s. Create and deliver corrective action to SC’s who fail to exhibit desired activities and/or do not meet performance expectations. Strategically manage Sales Team schedule with support of GM and DM. Meet with GM to review sales performance, gym statistics and personal performance.
Manager on Duty (“MOD”)
When the GM is not in the gym, the AGM will act as the MOD to be available for any and all staff and member issues.
Gym Tours & Presentations
Interact with guests to create a remarkable guest encounter while touring facility!
Inspire guests to purchase memberships. Turn every guest visit into a new member relationship by listening to guests’ desires and individual needs, presenting the gym in a way that best connects with them. Establish member confidence with understandable pricing, free communication and a passion for fitness.
Incorporate membership presentation with reasons personal training can play a dynamic role in reaching fitness goals with 100% of prospective new members.
Offer the opportunity to purchase personal training with 100% of new memberships.
Sales management responsibilities
Create exceptional experience for all members; follow up with current members to see if they are reaching or maintaining their fitness goals. Serve as an outlet for member questions or concerns and direct them to the appropriate individual or department to ensure members prompt resolution to those questions and concerns.
Generate leads/new business through member promotions, leads, referrals, guest passes and flyers. Manage and follow-up on 100% of leads and missed guests.
As an actively participating team-member, assist the front desk as necessary affording members a friendly greeting and prompt check-in or other member service.
AGM’s must lead by example each day and model proper sales room behaviors for team-members:
- Lead by example and sell memberships and personal training by achieving sales targets.
Execute other duties as assigned by GM, DM or Corporate Management
While performing the duties of this position the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and lifting situation of 50+ pounds.
The AGM’s schedule may include extended workdays, weekends and holidays as needed to support the business. The only holiday on which the gym is closed is Christmas Day.
Minimum Skills/Personal Trait Requirements:
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Required: Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Preferred: Some college or bachelor’s degree
- Preferred: Prior management experience in service sales industry leading 3-10 employees
- Preferred: Experience in fitness membership sale
- Must complete company sales training and orientation programs
- Demonstrated success in a service-oriented sales environment
- Leadership skills
- Management experience in sales/service industry
- Coaching/Motivation ability
- In-depth knowledge of sales practices and techniques
- General understanding of Fitness Industry
- Ability to work with computers
- Must have good interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Independent, self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Must be a team player