Shari's Assistant General Manager
REPORTS TO: General Manager
Position Summary: An Assistant General Manager (AGM) contributes to the success of Shari’s by overseeing food production, guest service, team member performance, restaurant cleanliness and administrative duties of a Shari’s restaurant. The AGM works shifts opposite those of the General Manger and is responsible for restaurant operations in the General Manager’s off-time. The AGM, along with the General Manager, is involved in the development, performance monitoring and discipline of team members.
Essential Functions: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The duties and responsibilities listed below are those that must be met to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform an essential function.
Salary Exempt: The Assistant General Manager is a salaried position.
Guest Experience: Maintain maximum sales and guest satisfaction by overseeing the production of quality food and beverage served by a service-focused team. Assist the general manager with sales building activities and team member development.
Quality Food and Beverage:
- Set up the restaurant by conducting and following up on line checks and bi-weekly PPQCs. Prepare and print daily prep sheets as needed, oversee prep duties as directed. Provide input on par levels.
- Regularly expedite the pass bar to provide for training, monitoring, coaching and encouraging team members on quality food production, plating, prep, temperature standards and ticket times on your shifts. Assist in developing restaurant plans to improve guest satisfaction scores for food quality and speed of service.
- Assist in training and monitoring new menu items and limited time offerings and oversee implementation on your shifts.
- Set up your shift by completing a FOH log, make station assignments, schedule breaks and conduct a pre-shift meeting to communicate a game plan and motivate the team to ensure satisfaction scores are continually improving.
- “Work the floor” during peak hours and make contact with each guest by visiting their table once during the dining experience to establish a management presence, evaluate levels of service and coach team members in providing guest satisfaction.
- Follow up and resolve all guest complaints received on your shifts. Pass along compliments. Log guest comments in the Manager’s log.
- Evaluate team member’s skills and prepare plans for ongoing training and development for the team members you work with the most.
Proper Staffing/Quality and Quantity:
- Understand and adhere to Shari’s application process. Conduct interviews and assist in selecting team members.
- Be familiar with all FOH POS labor reports to anticipate volumes and use scheduled labor wisely on your shifts. Assist team as needed to increase productivity. Be responsible for finding replacements for team member call ins that occur on your shift.
- Prepare schedules as assigned; assuring that the restaurant is meeting its staffing guidelines.
Team Management and Development: Participate in developing and supervising talented people by providing training and motivation. Promote team member relations through consistent implementation of company personnel policies and procedures. Evaluate and review team member’s performance.
- Lead a team of approximately 10-15 team members.
- Ensure that all team members receive full and complete training following Shari’s established training programs and conduct ongoing training on your shifts. Along with the General Manager, develop and train qualified team trainers.
- Along with the general Manager, evaluate team member performance. Write and present reviews for team members that you work with.
- Motivate team by providing daily praise and coaching feedback on team member performance on your shifts. Assist the entire management team in maintaining company recognition and reward programs such as the 100 Club, anniversary, certification, guest feedback comments, company contests, company promotions and restaurant’s recognition programs.
Human Resources Management and Compliance:
- Ensure a safe and harassment free work environment. Ensure all government mandated compliance rules are followed on your shift. Ensure that team policies as stated in Shari’s handbook are upheld and incidents are properly reported on your shift and that any incidents are discussed with the General Manager.
- Assist with maintaining the restaurant’s turnover rate at or below company average.
- Write and present team member development plans and/or disciplinary action for those on your shifts.
Sanitation and Cleanliness: Maintain established restaurant system to ensure to ensure the safety of our product, our guests and our team members.
- Conduct safety orientations and food safety training for new team members and monitor team member safety practices each shift. Assist with maintaining the restaurant’s safety program and safety committee.
- Oversee the completion of shift side-work and deep clean assignments and monitor personal hygiene and uniform standards on your shifts.
- Communicate restaurant’s equipment problems to the General Manager, assist with scheduling and following up on repairs.
- Conduct FOH and BOH check each shift you work to ensure proper temperatures, storage and handling practices for Shari’s food items. Assist with conducting restaurant Quality Assurance and Safety Inspections.
Financial Management: Work with General Manager in building sales through community involvement, implementing company marketing and maintaining high guest service scores. Contribute in maintaining food, labor and other costs in accordance with company policies, procedures and operating practices. Practice analyzing cost and developing action plans.
- Maximize sales by executing Shari’s Service Steps and menu production on your shifts.
- Manage labor on your shifts using Shari’s scheduling program available labor reports.
- Control food cost and waste on your shifts by using Shari’s inventory program and available food cost reports. Prepare food orders as assigned.
- Work closely with the General Manager in maintaining the restaurant’s other controllable budget.
- Actively develop and implement plans for improving the restaurant’s guest satisfaction scores.
- Properly complete shift and day close duties on your shifts and complete shiftly, daily, weekly and period accounting duties as assigned. Follow Shari’s Security and Banking Procedures and Shari’s Cash handling Procedures.
- Properly execute restaurant systems on your shifts.
- Completed delegated management tasks in a timely manner.
- Attend weekly manager meetings to learn important information and share feedback. Conduct 1-minute meetings on your shifts. Ensure that company communications are properly and effectively communicated on your shifts. Assist with the preparation and delivery of team member meetings.
- Develop your verbal and written communication skills.
- Inform the General Manager of any restaurant concerns you have about product, procedures or team members in a timely manner.
- Champion Change: Paves the way for needed changes and manages implementation effectively.
- Seasoned Judgment: Takes all critical information into account when making decisions; make timely, decisions.
- Coach and Develop: Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of team members; gives timely, specific feedback, and helpful coaching; provides challenging assignments and ongoing development.
- Inspiring Trust: Earns the confidence and trust of others; shows consistency between words, and actions; delivers on commitments; produces high-quality work and demonstrates high standards of ethical conduct; protects confidential information.
- Foster Open Communication: Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Attracting and Developing Talent: Accurately appraises the strengths and weaknesses of others; provides constructive feedback; assists in developing successors and talent pools.
- Driving Executions: Monitors results; tackles problems directly and with a sense of urgency.
- Shari’s Professionalism: Consistently treats individual with dignity and respect, recognizing the importance of cultural differences. Embraces, communicates and demonstrates company values and ethics. Maintains reasonable expectations of self and others when balancing time and performance demands with personal and professional needs.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Able to read, write and communicate English well.
- Possess basic math skills needed to calculate budgets, payroll, balance till and complete banking duties.
- Able to drive and hold a valid state drivers license.
- Proven previous management or supervisory experience.
- Able to direct, motivate, discipline and interact with team members.
- Possess reasoning abilities needed to project sales, evaluate budgets and analyze profit statements.
- Able to obtain and maintain an alcohol service permit.
The Assistant General Manager position requires the ability to work approximately 50 hours a week, 10 hours daily. While performing the duties of this position the team member is required to stand and walk continuously for 8-10 hours. Team member will sit occasionally each hour. Team member will continuously be performing hand and wrist work including grasping. Team member will frequently bend and twist. Team member will occasionally push and pull, do fine hand manipulation, reach above the shoulder and kneel or squat. The position seldom requires climb/stairs. Team member will continuously lift or carry 0-10 pounds; frequently lift or carry 11-15 pounds and rarely lift 16-20 pounds. Team member will occasionally use fine manipulation for keyboarding.