Assistant General Manager - New Galt House Restaurant
The Galt House Hotel - A legendary destination among hotels in the city.
As Louisville’s only waterfront hotel, the Galt House Hotel is quite simply the best place to find a unique and authentic experience in our exciting city. Sip some bourbon while taking in spectacular views of the Ohio River. We are just a shot away from Whiskey Row, where you immerse yourself in the history of Kentucky’s native spirit. Explore world-renowned cultural encounters at nearby Museum Row, featuring icons such as Muhammad Ali and Louisville Slugger. Delight your palette with mouthwatering culinary tastings in our top-rated restaurant scene. The Galt House Hotel, the Heart of Louisville, is in the center of it all.
The Galt House Hotel is the place to meet for a totally self-contained meeting or event, priding ourselves on a warm, friendly atmosphere and sincerity of our service. Located in the heart of Louisville, we are within driving distance from half the US population and just 10 minutes from the airport. We offer six restaurants and lounges; 130,000 square feet of meeting space; 53 meeting rooms; over 1,300 guest rooms; the city’s best fitness center; and six retail outlets.
We are currently hiring an Assistant General Manager for our new restauant Swizzle. As Assistant General Manager, your main responsibilities will be to manage, direct and oversee the daily operations of Swizzle while providing leadership and setting high standards of conduct and results with regards to associates, guest satisfaction, service standards, hospitality culture, financial results and planning. You will be responsible for all functions related to product served in the restaurant and will be responsible that all operations occur in a safe and sanitary work environment. Further, because the Restaurant is not a primarily Hotel-centric property and as a ‘stand-alone’ independent minded Restaurant depends on local business to drive traffic and revenue, the position demands an emphasis on, and responsibility for, all internal ‘four walls’ marketing, outward looking promotional campaigns and diligent social media attention as well as a prescriptive and well curated Public Relations and Marketing plans of action.
- Lead the safety effort by personal example
- Support full hotel compliance with safety rules to further our goal of zero (0) accidents and encouragement of reporting and correcting near misses
- Adhere to SOPs and other work procedures as required to assure guest satisfaction and consistencies to our customers
- Immediately report all injuries to the supervisor or manager on duty and to the security manager on duty
- Create, implement, and operate effective systems that meet the Restaurant’s standards of quality and Guest Experience, and are clearly communicated and effectively trained for all employees.
- To develop and implement business strategies for the restaurant that are aligned with the company’s overall mission, vision, values and strategies
- Prepare reports summarizing food and beverage profitability, customer satisfaction, etc.
- Develop and implement strategies for the restaurant that align with and support achievement of the hotel’s goals.
- Monitor status regularly and adjust strategies as appropriate.
- Develop the annual budget in conjunction with the Director of F&B, the controller and hotel general manager.
- ‘Property Expert’ level knowledge and ability to teach and program one or more Restaurant systems used by the property (i.e. Micros, Unifocus, Birch Street, Monsierge).
- Create an environment for employees that is aligned with the company culture through constant communication and reinforcement.
- Deliver the company’s hospitality experience for guests and employees.
- Communicate and reinforce the service vision for the restaurant to managers and employees.
- Create an environment at the restaurant designed to stimulate all senses through personal services, amenities and experiences provided by employees.
- Ensure that the restaurant delivers the company experience by reviewing restaurant operations from the customer’s perspective as well as from a business perspective.
- Keep current on pulse of the guests, constantly seeking opportunities to follow up on their experience.
- Provide employees with the tools and environment they need to deliver the company experience.
- Develop and implement strategies and practices that support employee engagement.
- Research customer preferences and develop menus that incorporates local foods and flavors in dining experience.
- Expected to be up on current food and beverage trends, both locally and nationally. Self-development and research recipes that can be used in the restaurant’s food and beverage experiences to ensure we remain competitive in our market.
- Maintain product consistency by conducting inspections of seasonings, portion, and appearance of food and beverage offerings.
- Manage the dining room and bar operation.
- Develop and implement annual budget; monitor actual versus budgeted expenses.
- Recommend menu pricing.
- Oversee the inventory, purchasing and disbursement of all supplies.
- Ensure that proper sanitation practices are followed.
- Recruit and select staff.
- Schedule staff based upon forecasted volumes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Run and fully manage all aspects of a restaurant shift, including, but not limited to, opening and closing the restaurant.
- Establish the restaurant business plan by surveying restaurant demand; identifying and evaluating competitors; preparing financial, marketing, and sales projections, analyses, and estimates.
- Meet restaurant financial objectives by developing smart strategies to maximize revenues; prepare strategic and annual forecasts and budgets; analyze variances and create effective plans of corrective action; establish and monitor financial controls; develop and implement strategies to drive revenue through increased cover counts, increase in average meal checks, and higher capture rates of hotel guests and return guests.
- Attract patrons by developing and implementing marketing, advertising, public and community relations programs; evaluate program results; identify and track changing demands.
- Maintain Guest satisfaction by monitoring, evaluating, and auditing food, beverage, and service offerings; initiating improvements; building relationships with preferred Guests. The General Manager MUST create and maintain a culture of Hospitality, both for our Guests and for our employees.
- Accomplish restaurant human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining management and line level staff; clearly communicate job expectations and assure that the tools to complete such expectations are available to the team; plan, monitor, appraise, and review job contributions and effectiveness and create corrective action plans when expectations are not being met; plan and review compensation on a regular basis; enforce policies and procedures.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree desired.
- 3+ years previous restaurant management experience required.
- Experience working in an upscale dining atmosphere is required.
- Previous experience in the hospitality industry required.
- Working knowledge of computers, internet access, and the ability to navigate with a variety of software packages such as Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Micros is preferred.
- Must have basic math skills.
- Problem solving and problem analysis skills.
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to lead the team in a positive direction in order to promote the opportunity for growth for both the candidate and for all of their direct reports. In order to be promoted, you must ‘replace’ yourself by developing internal candidates that can meet these qualifications.
- Excellent communication and guest relations skills.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling requirements in regard to public health standards is required. Candidate will be required to be able to be licensed by the local Health Department as a certified Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Galt House Hotel offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, 401k, a complimentary meal in associate cafeteria, complimentary parking, a discounted monthly TARC bus pass and more.
The Galt House Hotel is a Drug Free Workplace, creating a culture of care where diversity is welcomed