The Assistant Store Manager will assist the Store Manager to insure the proper operation of the Retail or Outlet store. In the absence of the Store Manager, the Assistant Manager will perform all the specific duties required of the manager, with the exception of hiring and terminating of employees.
- Provides and promotes exceptional customer service for internal and external customers using the AIM initiative therefore insuring repeat shoppers and donors.
- Leads and directs staff using the AIM initiative to resolve customer dissatisfaction.
- Resolves customer complaints or inquiries appropriately and provides notification to store manager.
- Manages and expects a clean and pleasant shopping environment
- Responsible for utilizing payroll system to enter time and attendance as well as clearing schedule exceptions in a timely manner.
- Assist Store Manager in monitoring controllable expenses in relation to individual store budget.
- Assist Store Manager in scheduling staff to provide all workstations with adequate staffing to achieve daily goals.
- Manages all aspects of the production area engaged in receiving and processing donated merchandise.
- Ensures that daily productivity goals are met in all commodities and reports deficiencies to the Store Manager.
- Oversees quality and quantity of goods going to sales floor.
- Holds employees accountable thru recommended coaching and corrective action for repeat deficiencies in meeting productivity goals.
- Reviews sales in each department to identify areas of opportunity.
- Monitors warehouse inventory for additional sales opportunities.
- Appraises and prices house wares, furniture and “mark-up” textiles with the intent of maximizing sales.
- Monitors stock level of store merchandise and supplies and adjusts as necessary.
- Insures proper submission of nightly service request in order to notify the logistics department of product needs.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment in the donation, production and compactor areas. Assures that backroom is organized, clean and productive following the Kaizen method of standardization and organization.
- Builds team work atmosphere. Drives positive reinforcement and motivation to all associates.
- Ensures compliance of employees with established safety, policies, procedures, security, sales, productivity and record keeping procedures and practices.
- Assist with interviewing and training employees.
- In the absence of the manager, directs staffing and training. Provides input to the manager regarding employee performance.
- In the absence of the manager, monitors and records corrective action issues, carrying out corrective actions according to Human Resource guidelines, as required.
- Performs work of fellow employees on an as needed basis.
- Leads and directs the sales floor team in merchandising standards according to store operations manual.
- Opens and closes the retail store on time and in a safe manner for all opening and closing staff.
- Is designated as a responsible key holder of the store.
- Delivers bank deposits to the bank and documents completed deposits as required.
- In the absence of store manager conducts management meetings and store safety meetings monthly or as required.
- Monitors store safety and compliance records with current posting. Performs required safety drills and accident procedures in the absence of store manager.
- Conducts regular safety meetings that include recall notice information. Ensures that all items found on the sales floor that are considered recalled are removed, recorded on the recall activity log and properly disposed of.
- Stay current with recall notices provided thru store email sent from the CPSC. Provides a copy to the team by posting on the recall board and ensures proper filing of recall notices into the binders located in the processing room.
- Insures timely and correct submission of incident/accident reports to the appropriate departments.
- Assures we are providing our employees, donors and shoppers with a safe environment. Reports areas in need of maintenance to the Store Manager or District Manager in a timely manner.
- Regularly reviews Store Operations Manual located online in SharePoint.
- Attends management team meetings and completes all training in a timely manner
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and a minimum of 1 year related management experience or supervisory experience preferred; or equivalent combinations of educations and experience. Computer skills, including Microsoft Office, web based programs and time and attendance systems experience required. Goodwill retail experience may replace supervisory experience requirement.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Intermediate math skills.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Valid State of Virginia driver’s license and proof of insurance required to drive personal car on company business.
- Additionally, 3+ point DMV record required to drive company vehicle.
- CPR certified; training provided by GIV.
- Forklift certification required for Outlet Store; training provided by GIV.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and assist with over 50 pound items. Occasionally, push or pull up to 400 pounds utilizing a wheeled container or pallet jack will be required. For Outlet Store operations, the employee is required to operate forklift and tipping machine to load and unload containers for placement onto the sales floor. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Goodwill offers a competitive salary and benefits for full time employees such as medical, dental, vision, life, retirement, educational reimbursement, EAP, STD, LTD, and PTO. We offer retirement and EAP benefits for part time employees.
“Helping people and families in our communities achieve a better life through work and independence.”
Equal Employment/Affirmative action employer.