Assistant Mechanical Designer - Plant Layout Requisition ID 180409 Job Type Computer Aided Drafting & Design
Burns & McDonnell’s office in Chicago, IL, is looking for an Assistant Mechanical Designer to help with 2D & 3D design of plant/floor layouts for a variety of food and consumer product manufacturing facilities. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States.
This position provides the opportunity for accelerated professional growth on challenging, fast-moving projects at a successful, established company. Hiring managers fully expect this individual to develop toward leading future design projects.
The Assistant Mechanical Designer will work on an integrated design team within our Global Facilities division (Global Practice) to perform the following duties:
- Assist in designing plant layouts using AutoCAD and Plant 3D for new and existing manufacturing lines, building additions and new construction – which could include items such as equipment, conveyors, machinery, piping, packaging lines, and raw material storage. (This is NOT a machine design position.)
- Assist in producing PFDs and P&IDs from verbal or written description from the design engineer.
- Follow all company, client and project design and drafting standards.
- Apply basic formulas and compute necessary calculations regarding layout designs.
- Work collaboratively utilizing design systems for the production of mechanical design deliverables.
- Execute design changes and project drawing revisions.
- Organize and maintain all revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information in a logical and well-structured manner.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in drafting technology or related field and two years related experience or associate's degree and four years related experience or five years progressive detailing and design experience.
- Strong understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Excel to develop the design deliverables. Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs. Plant 3D experience is beneficial.
- Ability to utilize both 2D and 3D applications to prepare engineering drawings.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects concurrently.
- Basic knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Basic knowledge in the theory and practices of assigned discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to travel 15%
Schedule Full-time Travel Yes, 15 % of the Time
Primary Location US-IL-Chicago