The Brand that Gets You to What’s Next
Express is the vibrant, confident lifestyle brand for ambitious people, providing the latest fashion for style-obsessed men and women since 1980. Our mission is to provide inspiration and confidence through fashion to help people get to what's next in their day, and their lives. With more than 600 retail and outlet stores throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and Latin America, and a best-in-class online/mobile shopping experience at www.express.com, Express brings city-inspired style to customers across the globe.
A Workplace To Match
We think you'll like it here.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, generous associate discount, and casual work environment. Working at Express is much more than the 9 to 5. It is an opportunity to connect and engage with some of the smartest individuals in the fashion business doing work they are passionate about. This is the Express Life and we’re always looking for talented leaders at all levels to join our team; if this sounds like you, we'd love to chat!
The Assistant Merchant supports the Merchant/Senior Merchant in achieving or succeeding financial metrics both seasonally and annually, as well as partner with all cross-functional partners to execute assortment strategies efficiently and accurately. This includes maintaining operational functions such as item definition and maintenance, order management and managing samples as well as prepping for all meetings including Floorset, Testing, Ecommerce & all milestone meetings. In addition, the Assistant Merchant has an acute fashion sense, with the ability to recognize and translate market trends for the EXPRESS customer.
- Maintain daily operational functions and data integrity including order management, sample organization, meeting prep, and all associated spreadsheets.
- Proficient in all systems including RMS, S5 and Microsoft Office Applications
- Establish and build strong cross-functional relationships including Production & Sourcing, Tech, Design, Planning & Allocation, eCommerce, Visual, and Marketing
- Analyze data and turn into insights
- Be the expert in competitive patterning in-store with customers: understanding other retailer’s assortment, pricing and promotional strategy in comparison to EXPRESS
- Understand brand positioning, trends and target customer to aid in the selection of product that is commercially viable
- Financial understanding and utilization of basic retail math to help analyze the department’s business on a day-to-day basis.
Essential Qualifications -
- Education: Bachelor's Degree preferably in business, retail merchandising, or fashion merchandising
- Years of Experience: 1 - 3 years of related work experience in Retail
- Must be accurate, proactive, display a sense of urgency, and be able to anticipate next
- Acute fashion sense with proven talent to envision and interpret fashion trends
- Ability to manage through conflict and problem-solve
- Exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiating skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Systems and computer savvy, including Microsoft Office Applications
- Percentage of Travel: 5 - 15%
- Type of Travel: Domestic
Diversity Vision Statement
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the differences among all of our associates, customers, suppliers and the communities in which we live and conduct business. We are an equal employment opportunity of minorities, females, protected veterans and the disabled. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, and treating our associates and applicants without discrimination based on their race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
As an equal opportunity employer, Express does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment on the basis of any federal, state, or locally protected class. Express only hires individuals authorized for employment in the United States.
Notification to Agencies: Please note that Express does not accept unsolicited resumes or calls from third-party recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement and approval from HR to submit resumes for a specific requisition, Express will not consider or approve payment to any third-parties for hires made.