Position Purpose & Summary
The Assistant Plant Manager assists the Plant Manager to lead critical process and systems for the operation of multiple grain facilities, by ensuring and building a world class culture around Operational Excellence in the core impact areas, including Risk Management, Operational Effectiveness, Capital Effectiveness, Reliability Excellence and Talent Management. The Team Leader ensures customer service and physical operations of the locations meets Cargill standards and productivity metrics.
This position supervises and leads all Production Supervisors, Production Supervisor Associates, and Operations Interns, and is responsible for the operational execution at Albion, Ord, and O’Neill NE.
The Assistant Plant Manager will lead the facilities to serve our customers, prevent incidents, reduce costs, improve efficiencies, execute capital spending plans, and enrich the local community through service projects and involvement in civic organizations. This is accomplished by leading and engaging the Production Supervisors and plant operations team to achieve goals and by creating and implementing an organized approach to execute on planned activities.
35% - Talent Management - Establishes a talent pipeline with effective, diverse leaders who are well trained, engaged, and focused on operational excellence, and ensures the production team at each facility is fully cross trained to perform all tasks. This will be accomplished through establishing clear performance goals and expectations, training and development, engagement, hiring and retaining diverse talent, balance between leadership and technical expertise, and a culture focused on operational excellence. The Team Leader will supervise and lead the development of Production Supervisors, Production Supervisor Associates, and Operations Interns within the group of facilities.
20% - Risk Management - Focuses on reducing and managing risks associated with employees, contractors, customers, products, and facilities. This focuses on the following: Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), Zero execution incidents, food and feed safety, process safety, and facility security. Conducts regular plant inspections and assists in a variety of specific audits at each facility to monitor and measure progress.
20% - Operational Effectiveness – Leads focus at each facility with ongoing Continuous Improvements related to labor efficiencies, plant efficiencies, process improvements, operating costs, energy management, and staff sizing. Ensures strong execution at each facility with grain quality management, short/over management, mix and blend maximization, and Total Commodity Yield minimization. Ensures strong execution at each facility with truck loading and shuttle loading effectiveness. Monitors, tracks and measures monthly Operational Effectiveness of each location, to recognize or refocus facility team efforts.
15% - Reliability Excellence – Develops a strategic and consistent maintenance approach at each facility in which the maintenance program system, structure, process, and procedures are in place to create reliable, safe, and sustainable plants at the best total cost of ownership. Team Leader ensures strong execution at each facility with proactive maintenance and minimizes reactive maintenance and equipment downtime. Uses Maintenance & Reliability reports, and P&L reports, to monitor and track reliability excellence performance, to recognize or refocus facility team efforts.
- At least two years’ experience as a Leader and Manager in a business or agricultural related field
- Experience in administering and/or managing an effective and proactive Environmental Health& Safety Program.
- Must be able and willing to work from heights (i.e. ladders, catwalks, etc.) and in an indoor/outdoor environment
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Ability to influence decision-making
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team
- Proven problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Capable of delivering innovation
- Ability to engage a high performing team
- 4 year post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of government regulations
- Inventory management skills
- Experience with electrical and programmable controllers
- Mechanical ability and maintenance experience
- General marketing or merchandising knowledge
- Operating efficiency and expense management skills
This position is posted internally as well as externally.