An Assistant Produce Manager at The Fresh Market is responsible for assisting with department inventory management, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, and other operational processes to provide the best product at the right time for our guests. The Assistant Produce Manager works with the Produce Manager and Produce Clerks according to the production tools and standards to maximize sales and gross profit and provide excellent guest service.
What you will do in a typical day:
- Guest Service is a priority! Greet guests, answer questions in a friendly manner, proactively assist guests with accurate and timely information, make product/service recommendations and accommodating special requests.
- Prioritizing department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines is a must.
- Maintain knowledge of products throughout the store, weekly ad items and work across departments to provide and assist guests in finding products & complete meal solutions.
- Manage and assist all functions and activities of the Produce Department by:
- Ensuring rotation and culling of product throughout the department on a daily basis so all product on the sales floor meets TFM standards for high quality and freshness.
- Direct and assist, as needed, with handling, cutting, slicing and preparing a variety of the department’s specialty produce items and fruit and veggie platters/trays throughout the day.
- Assemble gift baskets and flowers; maintain flower buckets and create and fulfill guest orders.
- Enforcing and following department practices regarding receiving, stocking, and the unloading deliveries of product to ensure freshness and quality; including but not limited to case, coolers, freezers and sales floor.
- Assist the Dept. Manager with the managing of inventory, ordering, pricing and signage throughout the department; Helping to reduce losses due to shrink, damage, and pilferage
- Following and utilizing the department production tools and perform other duties and assignments as directed by management
- Follow Quality and safety procedures by:
- Inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper rotation, cleaning, sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports
- Monitoring temperature of cases, spill overs, ovens and storage areas and report any failures to the Produce Manager or Manager on Duty.
- Following all company guidelines and procedures to include but not limited to safety and sanitation and preparation while cleaning including disassembling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment within the work area. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations
- Observing all store rules, Company policies and handbook guidelines, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by store management.
- Wearing approved hat, hair net, nonslip shoes, and/or beard guard.
- Assist in managing the team by:
- Properly training the team through TFM systems and on-the-job training to provide excellent guest service in a safe and secure manner, as well as to perform their duties with accuracy, minimizing any exposure to loss
- Providing counselling, coaching of the team independently and in cooperation with other members of store management.
- Creating and managing team schedules, ensuring breaks as required and to satisfy business needs
- Ensuring the retention of team members and minimizing labor costs
- Maintaining excellent written and verbal communication within the deli/cheese department and store management at all times
Working Condition & Physical Requirements
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, lifting, bending, reaching and exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his/her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 10-60 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 80 pounds occasionally
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights, overnights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Ability to use tools and equipment, including knives, ladders, stepstools, box cutters, pallet jacks, and other heavy machinery
Bonus if you bring:
- Gift, Floral and/or Produce experience
- Production Planning Software experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and related medical conditions, national origin, genetic information, uniformed service, veteran status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
The statements in this job description are provided to describe the general nature and level of work expected in this role. While these statements include the essential functions of the job, they are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. As we work as a team, there may be times team members are needed to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities based on business needs.