Grand View University is seeking qualified applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Graphic Design starting Fall 2021. We have a strong commitment to the integration of art, design and technology through our program offerings. The department offers undergraduate degrees in Graphic Design, Art Education, Studio Arts, and Game Design and Interactive Analytics. Our focus is on the process of experimentation and development of students' creative process. The goal of the Art & Design Department is to activate and motivate creative people to think conceptually and to make work that challenges others to think. The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge of current trends and topics in Graphic Design, as well as interests and experience with other areas of Art & Design, including Game Design.
Grand View University’s Art & Design department is one of the largest departments on campus and an essential and vital part of the community. We actively encourage applicants who can contribute to the diversity and inclusivity of Grand View.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
All department faculty are expected to maintain active professional practices, contributing to their field through exhibitions, publication or other venues appropriate to their discipline with creative work. In addition, the successful applicant will have:
* Commitment to growing and enhancing the department in a teaching-focused institution
* Ability to teach a variety of undergraduate courses including graphic design foundations and two-dimensional design; expertise in publication design, print design and/or typography preferred; strong consideration given to candidates with flexibility to teach in other areas like Game Design as well
* Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud and other relevant software
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills both in and out of the classroom
* Strong desire to work collaboratively with students in creative process
* Knowledge of current trends in contemporary art and design practice
* Willingness to advise student academic progress
* Ability to identify and use learning outcomes and assessment that lead to course and program improvements
* Ability to apply evaluation and assessment methods in the context of an art curriculum
* Commitment to service on department, college and/or university committees
Terminal degree (MFA or equivalent) in Graphic Design, Studio Arts or a related field. An excellent working knowledge of industry software and technology is required.
Professional experience in the design field
Ability to teach in Game Design or related fields also
College-level teaching experience
Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, identity and ethnic backgrounds of students
Interest in cross-disciplinary research and practice
Commitment to creating and maintaining relationships for student internships
Interested candidates should apply via our online application process and include a letter of application that addresses the above requirements, a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and contact information for 3 references.
Grand View University is an equal opportunity employer. The University has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including members of groups that are underrepresented in institutions of higher education and/or the social work profession, women, and people with disabilities.
Pre-employment background check required.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.