University of Colorado – School of Medicine
Assistant Professor- Open Rank Research Faculty
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Adult and Child Consortium for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a full-time Assistant or Associate Research Professor. This position is within the Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research Core within ACCORDS, and thus requires health-related research experience and expertise in qualitative and mixed methods research. Specific areas of interest include in-depth and key informant interviews and focus group methods as well as expertise in qualitative and mixed methods research design, data collection, analysis, and interpretation.
This faculty position will have their academic affiliation in the Department of Family Medicine and will be a member of a well-established Qualitative and Mixed Methods core in ACCORDS, a research center supporting the advancement of health services research and T3-T4 translational research that is jointly funded by the School of Medicine and Children’s Hospital Colorado Research Institute. ACCORDS serves as the focal point for health care professionals, researchers and analysts from across the Anschutz Medical Campus to foster multidisciplinary collaborations that bring together our campus’ diverse skills and talents to pursue health services research and education. In addition, ACCORDS cultivates strong research and educational collaborations with external partners including the University of Colorado School of Public Health, Children’s Hospital Colorado, Denver Health, Kaiser Permanente Colorado, UCHealth, other health care delivery systems, community organizations, and state and local government agencies. ACCORDS has programs in Dissemination and Implementation Science, Patient-Centered Decision Making, Education, Data Science and Community Engagement and Outreach, as well as cores in Qualitative and Mixed Methods Science, Practice-Based Research Networks (PBRNs), Biostatistics for Health Services Research, and Mobile Health and Health Information Technology (HIT).
The successful candidate will be a methodologist in the ACCORDS Qualitative and Mixed Methods Core and have opportunities to collaborate with over 70 ACCORDS affiliated faculty and other health services researchers from the Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Public Health, Dental Medicine and the College of Nursing.
The candidate will engage in collaborative research as well as develop and conduct original methodological research if they desire. They will support proposals to secure external funding, and contribute to our educational mission including teaching post-docs and faculty across the various ACCORDS sponsored fellowships and other educational programs across campus.
The Department of Family Medicine is one of the premier primary care research departments in the US and internationally. Research programs in the Department include programs in Chronic Disease Prevention and Management, Community Engaged Research, Implementation Science, Integrated Behavioral Health, Practice Innovation, and Practice-Based Research Networks.
This is a full-time, 12-month position, to start as soon as possible. The Qualitative and Mixed Methods Core is essential in achieving ACCORDS’s research and educational missions. The rank of appointment, within the School of Medicine will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities / Examples of Work Performed
The position will involve consulting with faculty across the Anschutz Medical Campus on qualitative research methods, grant applications and publications. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to: (1) participating in collaborative, multidisciplinary research studies, including grant and manuscript writing, collecting qualitative data, developing and conducting qualitative and mixed methods analyses, and overseeing and directing professional research assistants; (2) teaching and mentoring fellows and junior faculty; (3) developing and seeking funding for his/her research in a focused area of interest.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A research doctoral degree in social and behavioral sciences, health sciences, public health, medical anthropology, sociology or related discipline.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with qualitative methodologies and data collection methods relevant in medical research
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Peer reviewed publications in public health, health services and/or medical journals
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Expertise in multiple qualitative methodologies, including grounded theory, phenomenology, ethnography and content analysis
- Expertise in multiple qualitative data collection methodologies, including but not limited to in-depth interviews, focus group, observations, and visual data collection methods (e.g., PhotoVoice, video elicitation)
- Experience conducting research in clinical or public health applied settings
- Good organizational skills across individual projects & managing work load
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to work with investigators and colleagues in ACCORDS and across the Anschutz Medical Campus
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead the qualitative research components of clinical and health services research projects
- Excellent manuscript and grant writing skills
- Experience with mixed methods research designs
- 2 years of research experience post doctoral degree
- Experience conducting pediatric qualitative research
- Experience with pragmatic qualitative research methods and analysis, such as rapid qualitative research analysis
- Experience using qualitative data management software programs (such as Atlas.ti and NVivo.)
- Evidence of independent research through publication
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research Core at ACCORDS
- Experience with teaching and mentoring faculty and Masters and Doctoral students
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for 3-5 professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.