The Christman Company is accepting applications from enthusiastic students interested in gaining experience in the construction industry as an Assistant Project Engineer (Intern). As a member of our operations group, this person will have opportunities to gain hands-on experience during either project planning and/or construction phases. Aptitude for team-based planning and problem-solving and wholehearted commitment to building strong partnerships to support project goals will be critical for success.
This internship will provide a great opportunity for a college student to play a significant role on a construction project leadership team, develop construction management expertise, learn technology applications that support efficient and effective delivery of construction management services, and participate in a broad range of project planning and/or construction management services. The internship will offer opportunities to support team members and bring value by recognizing challenges early and planning ahead for important project activities.
Interns will be responsible for assisting Christman operations teams supporting and monitoring projects throughout the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast US or Southwest US, typically ranging from $10-50 million. Qualified candidates will demonstrate:
- Work Planning:Ability to plan and prioritize individual contributions, and produce timely results that contribute positively within the context of project management and other initiatives. Dependable and punctual for all work-related commitments.
- Detail Orientation:Ability to successfully ensure accuracy of project documentation. Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Relationships:Ability to develop productive relationships within the project team, with contractors, and with design teams and clients. Ability to earn respect through the credibility of construction knowledge and positive approach to problem solving.
- Communication:Strong communication skills, including excellent ability to identify and understand requirements of the project team and to participate in collaborative problem solving.
- Professionalism:Ability to maintain a positive attitude and professional demeanor and appearance at all times and perform well under project constraints and deadlines.
- Computer Skills:Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint). Working knowledge of project management software.
- Math Skills:Solid numerical and analytical skills and ability to apply these skills to achieve accurate project billing requirements.
- Learning Orientation:Willing to pursue related training and experiential opportunities to support education gained through college courses, and to openly share knowledge and debate concepts with appropriate members of the Christman team.
Best-suited candidates will have the following education and experience or equivalent:
- Sophomore or Junior level college student pursuing a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management, or a related field.
- Participation and/or leadership in construction, engineering or other related organizations.
- Previous experience in the commercial construction industry preferred.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA; 3.40 GPA or higher preferred.
Details of open position:
Location:Various (West, Central, or Southeast Michigan; Indiana; DC Metro; Southeast US; Southwest US)
Required Travel:Assigned project site
The Christman family of companies is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran0