The Assistant General Manager (AGM) will report directly to the General Manager of Yerba Buena Gardens. The AGM will direct and coordinate the daily work activities of the Yerba Buena Gardens staff, including office Administration and Accounting, Tenant Coordination, Janitorial Services, Landscaping, Engineering Services, Loss Prevention/Risk Management and Event Management. The position is comprised of these main components:
• Operate and maintain Yerba Buena Gardens, including all landscape and hardscape elements and all equipment contained therein, Security Services, Routine Repairs, Contracting for major repairs and Janitorial Services.
• Assist the General Manager in determining and purchasing appropriate furnishings, fixture, and equipment (FF&E) necessary to operate Yerba Buena Gardens.
• Implement and maintain, in accordance with all applicable laws, appropriate procedures to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for its employees and subcontractors, including without limitation, the posting of safety precautions, the use of personal protective devices, equipment maintenance and protections, proper use of ladders and scaffolding, injury prevention, proper handling and disposal of toxic and hazardous materials, housekeeping and sanitation measures.
• Promote the use of Yerba Buena Gardens and establish and maintain its positive public image.
• Oversee implementation of Safety and Fire Prevention Procedures and Energy Conservation measures.
• Ensure all Licensing and Legal Requirements in connection with operating Yerba Buena Gardens.
• Oversee the utilization, if needed, of independent contractors to fulfill Property Management responsibilities.
• Assist the General Manager in negotiating, securing and managing of all subcontracts necessary for the provision of services in accordance with Purchasing Policy.
• Conduct quality control inspections of all operations to the satisfaction of the General Manager and any technical consultants such as landscape architects, horticulturists, engineers, security advisors and other referred by the Conservancy.
• Verify that appropriate licensing and bonding is maintained for any Yerba Buena Gardens worker providing services where licensing or bonding is required.
• Assure that any use of chemicals in Yerba Buena Gardens is in strict accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
• Provide technical assistance for Learning Garden Programs.
• Assist the General Manager in determining and purchasing appropriate Furnishings, Fixture, and Equipment (FF&E) necessary to operate Yerba Buena Gardens.
• Oversee maintenance of an emergency preparedness plan providing for the protection of life and property during emergencies that may affect Yerba Buena Gardens. The Assistant General Manager will also coordinate this plan with adjacent users.
• Utilize facility management software program (Condition Management Estimation Technology-COMET) to assess the life cycle of all facilities, property systems and inventory.
• Conduct monthly site inspections; keep and update lists of items to be addressed as a result of such inspections and incorporate same into the work program and/or budget recommendations.
• Ensure that annual emergency preparedness training and relevant practice drills are conducted for all employees and subcontractors who work at YBG.
• Monitor and resolve conflicts with members of the public and day-to-day issues as they arise.
• Maintain good working relations with adjacent users on Central Block 2 and Central Block 3 and in surrounding Yerba Buena Center neighborhood.
• Attend to all Legal Responsibilities entailed in operating Yerba Buena Gardens. Assistant General Manager will assure compliance with all local, state, and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the work, including those pertaining to workplace safety and toxic chemicals.
Marketing and Events
• Oversee the coordination of scheduling and logistics of all activities in or affecting Yerba Buena Gardens (including deliveries, servicing, maintenance and performances) in order to minimize potential conflicts with Moscone Convention Center, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and any other events for YBG tenants that will impact the Gardens.
• Issue permits for activities in Yerba Buena Gardens, pursuant to Conservancy policies and Exhibit 2, "Yerba Buena Gardens Event Guidelines" including collection of fees and evidence of insurance.
• Coordinate closely with Yerba Buena Arts and Events (YBAE), Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA),CCM, Metreon and other programming organizations to assess their administration of performances, concessions, and programming at YBG, providing such support and supervision as necessary to protect the physical assets of Yerba Buena Gardens from damages which might be occasioned by heavy public use.
• Manage events and activities in Yerba Buena Gardens including Crowd Control, Security Services, Fee Collection and Coordination with current and future contracting users of Yerba Buena Gardens operating entities such as YBAE, YBCB, retail tenants, etc.
• Provide logistical and lean up support for performances.
• Provide technical, security and other support for performances.
• Assure that limitation on occupancy and other life safety codes are strictly enforced.
• Promote businesses in the area in coordination with the Yerba Buena Alliance.
• Provide, train, and develop a Full Time Manager, Gardens Operations to provide office support and public information.
• Ensure professional bookkeeping necessary to maintain records. Accounting books and records will be kept on site in the Yerba Buena Gardens Management Office at all times.
• Maintain a computerized scheduling program consolidating information about all events and activities in or affecting Yerba Buena Gardens, including information about Moscone Convention Center, YBAE, YBCA, and other YBG tenants.
• Keep records of all fixed assets.
• Screen potential Yerba Buena Gardens personnel for any record or pattern of past behavior that might indicate inappropriateness for employment in a family oriented environment.
• Assist the General Manager with procurement of Capital Repair or replacement subcontracts and coordinate large subcontracts.
• Leadership Experience
• Strong problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to foster Teamwork
• Demonstrated ability to problem solve
• Background in Customer and Personal service
• Management and Administration Experience
• Knowledge of Finance and Accounting
• Experience with oversight of Personnel and Human Resources
• Experience managing Public Spaces
• Real Property Administrator (RPA) or equivalent
• Ability to read construction drawings
• Experience in events production and/or activity planning
• Knowledge of Permitting Processes
• Ability to bend, twist, lift and carry objects weighing up to 30 lbs. (such as office supplies, filing projects) up and down stairways, in and out of buildings, and over moderate distances and inclines.
• This position requires standing and walking for extended periods of time; stoop and crouch.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently be required to use hands to handle; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
• Normal or correctable to normal, hearing, vision, speech, manual dexterity,
• Must be able to observe, detect and respond to issues that come up and enforce policies to mitigate problems protecting public and property.
• Capacity to walk distances up to one mile while frequently ascending/descending stairs.
• Must be tolerant of year-round weather (including inclement weather) as this position requires being outdoors 50% of the time.
*If you need a reasonable accommodation in the hiring process, such as alternative methods of application or screening, please contact MJM directly with your request.
*This job description is subject to change at any time.
***To be considered for this position, please complete the mandatory employment questionnaire at: