The Accounting Assistant is responsible for the posting and maintenance of accounts receivable and accounts payable records in addition to other duties related to the real estate portfolio as assigned by supervisor.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- General accounting knowledge in the application of receivables and payables.
- Post approved accounts payable invoices and prepare for payment.
- Issue checks for payment, match checks with invoices, and prepare checks for signature.
- Mail signed checks along with applicable supporting documents.
- Maintain paid accounts payable invoice files.
- Review and copy supporting documents for capital expenditures and provide to the accountants and tax department.
- Provide supporting documents to property managers upon request.
- Post cash receipts batches and maintain cash receipts files.
- Prepare bank deposits and process deposits through on-site deposit scanner.
- Communicate with Property Managers regarding issues relating to accounting, such as accounts payable issues, NSF checks, and improper procedure.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Screens incoming calls and correspondence.
- Open, sort, and distribute incoming mail, faxes and packages.
- Greet visitors.
- Maintain and order office and kitchen supplies.
- Assist with reception coverage duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Business Acumen - Ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and seen as credible in the workplace.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Emotional Intelligence – Engaged, enthusiastic team member who motivates others to excel.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Experience and Education:
- Education and Experience: Prior accounting experience (2yrs) in payables and receivables with a focus in real estate accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with Yardi is a plus
- Keen attention to detail
- Collaborative working style and team player attitude
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated desire to explore, discover and create.