ABOUT THE POSITION
The Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds is seeking an Assistant Site Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds (ASSBG) for its Staten Island site.
The ASSBG will serve as second-in-command under the Site Superintendent of Buildings & Grounds (SSBG) who is responsible for managing the maintenance of the entire physical plant the structures, the acreage, the infrastructure and all of the equipment and staff needed to do so.
We are seeking an individual with expertise in at least one of the following: plumbing, electrical work, carpentry, mechanics, landscaping, or tree management, and working knowledge in the others as well as painting, water and sewage treatment, vehicle and machinery operation, general maintenance and janitorial services. This individual should also have proficiency in the safe and proper use of power equipment and tools, heavy and light machinery, and building materials.
The ASSBG will spend most of their time working in the field alongside the rest of the maintenance staff and is expected to contribute to a culture that values cooperation and respect, inspires team morale, and encourages staff to produce quality work in their commitment to HKC's mission.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist in managing the Work Order system, ensuring all tasks are inputted and reported on properly.
- Assist with the purchase, use, and care of all maintenance equipment and supplies; maintain appropriate records (e.g. warranties, service dates) and inventory of items.
- Assist with development and implementation of routine and preventative maintenance schedules for the upkeep of camp buildings and grounds including checking the physical plant and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair and routine duties such as mowing, painting, etc.
- Train new maintenance staff
- Assist in ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines, any respective accreditation standards; obtain appropriate licenses, permits, and approvals as needed.
- Ensure that proper safety regulations and procedures are adhered to and that all maintenance staff are properly trained in safety procedures.
- Travel and work at alternate HKC site as needed.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or its equivalent, plus at least 5 years of experience in the following areas: project management, facility and site management, maintenance, construction, and land-management.
- 5-years management experience
- Experience with hiring, training and scheduling staff
- A valid driver's license
- Pool Operator Certification a plus
- Current certification in first aid and CPR a plus. Advanced certification may be required.
- Ability to lift equipment and supplies up to 40 pounds.
- Ability and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time.
- Willingness to work irregular hours and operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat/cold and other environmental conditions.
- May be asked to occasionally stay overnight in provided housing.
The Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive benefits package with medical, dental, vision and life insurance and a 401K as well as generous vacation and sick leave, and paid holidays. The salary for this position is commensurate with the candidate's experience.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds, a small Jewish non-profit, manages and operates three facilities located in Long Island, Rockland County and Staten Island that serve as home to 13 independently run day camps. As a seasonal organization, HKC has a small year-round staff, but brings on 150 seasonal workers for the camp season to provide lifeguarding and swim instruction at the pools, and maintenance and janitorial services for the grounds. On any given camp day, we welcome more than 5000 campers and camp staff through our gates.