The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Under the supervision the Head Swim Coach, the Assistant/Novice Swim Coach will assist with the implementation of the YMCA competitive swim program.
The Assistant/Novice Swim Team Coach helps with the supervision and implementation of the YMCA competitive swim team program. He/she is responsible for assisting in the instruction of the program under the YMCA guidelines and Head coach in order to meet the goals and objectives of the Sherwood Regional Family YMCA. Potential work days needed would be Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays and some Saturdays.
• Conduct regular swim team practices, under YMCA guidelines, as directed by the Head Coach.
• Supervise swim team activities at designated times assuring safety, policy regulation, and member satisfaction.
• Keep accurate statistics of all attendance.
• Follow YMCA policies and procedures (dress code, etc.)
• Attend all meetings and special events as specified by Head Coach.
• Development of youth swim practices with Head Coach; all duties done to meet the goals of the team, and objectives of the association and branch.
• Have an organized daily lesson plan; come prepared for practice.
• Have absences approved by supervisor.
• Maintain current required certifications.
• Run, plan and organize workouts for a competitive entry level squad
• Some Administrative functions may also be required
• Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
• Commit to establishing long-term work relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families
• Ability to communicate effectively and establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff and give directions in authoritative, yet tactful manner.
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
• Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply
appropriate management techniques.
• Ability to lift up to 80 pounds.
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Current USA swimming coaching credentials as outlined on the USAswimming.org website. If not current, applicant should be willing to obtain within 14 days of employment.
• Must pass YMCA background check
• High School Diploma or GED
• Prior swim team experience is preferred; as an athlete or coach
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y’s vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting
absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: CollaborNation, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer