Duties and Responsibilities
ASSISTANT TEACHER (BIRTH - 3), CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER- PART TIME
KENNEDY KING COLLEGE
Under the supervision of the Teacher, the Assistant Teacher provides instructional, clerical and non-instructional support in the Child Development Center classroom, in order to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum that is aligned with the educational and philosophical goals of the program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides a safe, healthy environment for children, with a focus on classroom health, hygiene, nutrition, and safety. This includes maintaining a clean and orderly environment for the children; ensuring children attend to personal hygiene/hand washing; teaching children about health and nutrition; and reporting accidents, injuries, and illnesses to parents and supervisors.
- Assists the teacher in the development and implementation of an environment and curriculum that provides for a variety of developmentally appropriate activities to promote children’s development in the areas of language and literacy, cognition, social-emotional well being, and physical health. This should be done with consideration of the Center’s goals, educational philosophy, and general curriculum plans.
- Assists in the maintenance of required paperwork, logs and records, as well as documentation to assess individual children and the class as a whole.
- Ensures children’s safety through constant supervision, storage of dangerous materials, arrangement and maintenance of classroom and equipment.
- Works with other teaching staff to provide a nurturing, stimulating, non-punitive, and culturally sensitive environment that encourages language, self-expression, exploration, creativity, imaginative play, thinking skills, and the development of positive relationships.
- Makes certain that parents are greeted warmly and receive adequate information about their child’s experience at the center through daily contact, scheduled conferences, and written documentation as required.
- Participates in any quality enhancement initiatives that the center may undertake.
- Participates in staff meetings, planning, and professional development and shares information gained from coursework or attendance at professional development workshops and conferences.
- Adheres to requirements put forth by funding, licensing, and accreditation agencies.
- Performs other duties as required and maintains classroom atmosphere and requirement in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
- Associate’s degree in Child Development, Early Childhood, or equivalent required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred. In addition, two years experience with preschool children or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Must have and maintain a warm, supportive attitude towards children.
- Must be flexible in receiving assignments and adapting to changes in the program.
- Must to willing to accept supervision and continue professional development in the field in order to improve work performance.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with children, parents, and other staff members, as well as for documenting children’s growth and learning.
- Should be able to assist in the creation and implementation of developmentally appropriate lessons, interact positively with children and other staff, and understand and attend to the physical, social, cognitive, health and safety, and emotional needs of the children.
- Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse environment with the ability to handle situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to operate computers and use applicable software required.
CCC is an equal oportunity affirmative action employer
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!