This part-time position is for an Assistant Teacher at THE Y AT ELK VALLEY ELEMENTARY during the school year and then transfers to the CAMP SHERWIN site during the summer months.
Are you a creative, energetic and fun loving person?? Do you love working with children and watching them learn?Come join a team that is fun loving and passionate about what they do and are making a difference in children's lives each day.
Under direction of the Lead Teacher/Child Care Program Director/designee, this position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility by implementing high quality YMCA child care program(s).
- Supervision (see, hear, direct, and assess) and discipline of children at all times.
- Assists with the enrollment of new children and facilitates the onboarding of the child and his/her parents into the Y Program along with the Program Director and classroom teacher.
- Assures compliance with federal, state and local regulations as they relate to program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate. Ensures that YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed. HEPA standards are met and CACFP guidelines are monitored and fulfilled. Maintain proper classroom documentation that includes accident/behavior/discipline forms and attendance.
- With guidance from Lead Teacher/Child Care Program Director/designee, implement classroom lesson plans.
- Assist in maintenance and cleanliness of the classroom.
- Attend and participate in all family events and program activities.
- Support the program goals and mission of the YMCA.
- Act as role model for children at all times.
- Communicate with parents on a daily basis. Attend all staff, parent and team meetings as assigned. Be key liaison between child, parents and Child Care Program Director.
- Assumes other duties as requested by Child Care Director or designee.
- Developing Self & Others
- Personal Growth
- Mission Advancement
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must enroll in a CDA (Child Development Associate) training program within the first year of employment, if not already completed or attending any secondary education facility.
- Must have attained one of the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma and 2500 hours of documented experience
- 2500 hours of documented experience and w/45 training hours or 3 ECE or High School Diploma and 15 college credits and 1 year experience or CDA training hours completed (600 hours)
- 2500 hours of documented experience and any bachelors or associates degree (including trade school) and 2 years documented experience or CDA (attained) or High school diploma or GED with 6 ECE and 1 year documented experience or High school diploma or GED with 15 ECE and 1 year documented experience
- 2500 hours of documented experience w/30 college credits (12 ECE)
- 2500 hours of documented experience and Attending college in non related field w/60 credits (18 ECE)
- Fulfillment of PA-specific pre-hiring standards (Act 33/34, FBI Clearance, Pass Physical and Mantoux Tine test) and completion of YMCA program specific certifications (list).
- Acquire a minimum of six (6) hours of training annually or whatever the individual professional plan requires.
- Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include completion of: New Employee Orientation, Mandated Reporter, Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff; Working with Program Volunteers; Pediatric CPR/ First Aid/ AED; Bloodborne Pathogens, and other OSHA required trainings, Fire & Water Safety Training
- Know emergency procedures with an annual review.
- Good human relations skills.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations with varying temperatures.
- Must be able to life 40-50 pounds.
- Noise level will range from very low level to very high level of sounds.
- May come in contact with children that are ill/contagious
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, spend time on the floor, kneel, stop crouch or crawl.