Childhaven teachers are a special breed of educator. They believe that early learning programs can improve lives affected by trauma, and help children thrive despite what they've experienced. Working with our kids every day, teachers represent the core of our services for children and families.
Teaching positions offer:
- A great opportunity to connect with families who have high needs, and make a lasting impact on their well-being
- Chances to collaborate with and learn from many other professionals, including mental health therapists and clinicians, ECEAP and Head Start teachers, speech therapists, occupational therapists, special educators, nurses, case managers, and more
- Exposure to the child welfare system in King County and WA state, and experience helping families navigate it
- Regular step increases to salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as an education stipend
- Lots of quality time with kids like these!
Requirements for assistant teachers:
- You have 3 years or more experience working directly with children in a field of social services or early childhood where you have grown to understand a variety of learning and instructional styles.
- You have an associate s degree in a field related to early childhood development, family studies, social science or social work.
- You will submit to, pass Childhaven s drug screen and background check, and possess a portable background check through the Washington Department of Early Learning.
- You have a valid driver s license, proof of liability insurance and a verifiable safe driving record.
- Your current certifications include First Aid, Child/Infant CPR, HIV & Blood borne Pathogens and you have a MERIT identification number.
Childhaven serves families from diverse communities and we are committed to recruiting candidates who reflect this diversity. Multilingual and multicultural candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
Every role at Childhaven makes an impact! Assistant teacher responsibilities include:
- You prioritize respectful interaction with children and caregivers that models positive behavior, and promotes the development of positive self-esteem, self-confidence, and communication skills.
- Your organization and planning skills produce a well-developed curriculum program, appropriately meeting the development needs of the children on a group and individual basis.
- Your collaborative approach to child development supports the Individualized Treatment Plan as developed by Childhaven s clinical staff.
- You respect cultural differences in childcare, which reflects in your relationships with the children in your care, their families, and your colleagues.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, and Respect. Here s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- We believe in fully transparent hiring practices. Pay rates for Assistant Therapeutic Classroom Teachers start at $15.98/hour
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, education reimbursement and a 403(b) savings program with employer contributions. A full listing of benefits is available.
- No matter what your role is, you'll get opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy, management skills, and more. We also work hard to make sure that you have a mentor—a person who's helping you grow professionally.
- We re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that s relevant to them and their values. As a member of Childhaven staff, you ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and to serve on our Racial Equity Team, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
Want to join our team? Submit a resume and a cover letter!
Your resume and application must be accompanied by a cover letter in which you address the following:
- The value you ve gained from collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Your ability to make sound decisions in emergency situation
- A foundational knowledge of early childhood development and trends
- Highlights of areas where successes in your background will serve you in this role at Childhaven