Our client, Grant Hermann, an international law firm located in Midtown, is seeking an experienced attorney to support the Firm’s rapidly growing real-estate department. This position requires an organized, detail-oriented, and focused legal professional who is willing to go above and beyond to provide our clients with stellar service and top-notch counsel.
Grant Hermann specializes in the representation of high-net-worth foreign and domestic clients on all of their US investment activity with a strong focus on tax planning, corporate structuring, trust and estate planning, and real estate. They are a boutique firm based in New York City and have been working with foreign and domestic high net worth clients since our formation in 1946.
The team helps families and their financial and legal advisors from all over the world to structure our clients’ assets in an efficient manner with a focus on wealth preservation and succession planning. We advise on all aspects of wealth structuring, tax implications, inbound and outbound investments, acquisitions and dispositions.
You will support the Firm’s Real Estate practice area and provide counsel to high-net-worth individuals and families (both domestic and international) in U.S. and international real-estate legal and financial matters, as well as U.S. and international tax, wealth management, and investment planning. You will ensure that clients receive high-touch customer service by going above and beyond what is requested whenever possible.
- Provide counsel and support to clients in the realms of real estate planning, tax, wealth management, and investment planning.
- Monitor legal risk in real estate documentation and advise clients accordingly.
- Represent clients in purchases and sales of properties.
- Execute real-estate transactions, leases, amendments, and other corporate documentation by preparing, reviewing, and filing legal documents while meeting deadlines.
- Draft and execute varying documents such as letters, contracts of sale, riders, amendments, resolutions, closing statements, closing costs estimates, transfers, closing binders, lease, lease riders, extensions, deal sheets, and loan commitments.
- Review and perform due diligence on condominium/cooperative purchases, reviewing and markup of title reports and/or lien searches
- Draft corporate formation documents, resolutions, and other basic corporate documents for domestic and foreign corporations and foundations.
- Prepare transactional board consents, officer certificates and other ancillary documents
- Provide litigation support to clients, for example in defending municipal code litigation.
- Prepare legal, tax, and corporate documents, memos, e-mails, and presentations relevant to firm’s services.
- Perform legal research, analysis, and interpretation of US Federal and state laws and regulations related to real-estate transactions as well as other areas of firm services.
- Implement wealth transfer structures for multinational families, creation of trusts, pre-immigration and pre-departure planning.
- Attend meetings and conference calls with clients, prospects, registered agents, financial institutions and trust companies
- Attend Networking events and participate in client development opportunities
- Attend CLE Events relevant to firm practice and development
- Act as agent, trustee, guardian, or executor for businesses or individuals.
Client and Matter Management
- Oversee client matters, ensuring on-time and accurate deliverables as well as the highest levels of client service and communications.
- Build, track, and manage matter budget and billable hour allocations, ensuring appropriate levels of resources are being used.
- Providing timely communications to client related to cost overruns, ensuring client understands why additional costs need to be incurred and sign off on additional expenditures.
- Ensuring billable hours are tracked and entered into billing system (both for self and others working on matters).
- Assisting with Accounts Receivable communications to clients, when appropriate, to ensure overdue bills are paid.
Oversight and Training of Others
- Delegate, as appropriate, to Paralegals and Legal Assistants, and oversee activities, ensuring on-time error-free delivery of work products.
- Oversee team members in:
- ordering title, lien searches, payoff letters, assignment and collateral documents
- submission of documentation necessary to obtain Title Clearance
- ensuring that appropriate approvals are in place before real estate transactions are executed.
- preparing and filing IRS forms
- preparing estate planning documents and court forms.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum Education: Juris Doctorate
- Required Licensure: Certified by the NY Bar Association
- Preferred Languages: Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Preferred Experience and Knowledge:
- 4+ years’ experience as an Associate advising domestic and foreign clients on domestic and international real estate matters.
- Strong experience in real estate law and industry knowledge that includes litigation, lease transactions, property management, purchase and sale transactions.
- Strong experience in title insurance underwriting, curative and claims.
- Strong understanding of Foreclosure.
- Experience leading a project from start to finish, including maintaining constant communication with clients, advisors, and senior attorneys on a matter.