All Job Postings will close at 12:01a.m. CST (1:01a.m. EST) on the specified Closing Date (if designated).
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application progress will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through “My Draft Applications” located on your Candidate Home page.
Job Posting Title:Associate Clinical Specialist 1, 2, or 3
Position Type:Other Academic
Department:LSUAM VetMed - VCS - Junior Surgery - Support (Theresa L Cosper-Roberts (00005605))
Work Location:2307 Veterinary Medicine
The incumbent of this position will assist in instruction of veterinary students in technical skills related to the practice of veterinary medicine in the Veterinary Clinical Sciences Junior Surgery & Clinical Skills Labs.
ASSOCIATE CLINICAL SPECIALIST 1
- Launder surgical linens, towels and pads used in kennel, prepare surgical packs, sterilize instruments and gowns. Assist in the preparation of the laboratory for upcoming instructional labs and research surgeries. Maintain all surgical instruments, tables, lights, and any other non-anesthetic equipment in the junior surgery in proper working order. Maintain all soap and paper towel dispensers in proper working order. Maintenance of all anesthesia-related equipment in the laboratory including vaporizers, anesthetic monitors, endotracheal tubes, blood pressure monitors, dopplers, bear huggers, heating pads, and any other equipment necessary for the induction, maintenance, and recovery from anesthesia. Assist in cleaning and sanitation of cages, kennels, and the kennel room between laboratories. Assist in maintaining the general overall cleanliness of the lab.
- Assist the faculty in training students in animal restraint and basic animal care. Assist the faculty in instruction of veterinary students in aseptic technique, including preparation of the surgery patient, surgeon and instruments. Assist the faculty in training veterinary students in techniques of injection, venipuncture, IV catherization, and any other technical skills as instructed by the faculty members in charge of teaching laboratories. Supervise veterinary students in the administration of drugs for sedation and analgesia.
- Provide technical assistance to the faculty and house officers performing surgical research.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree OR Associates degree in Veterinary Technology OR CVT or equivalent
Veterinary Technician experience preferred.
Specialized training in anesthesia preferred.
ASSOCIATE CLINICAL SPECIALIST 2
- Prepare the laboratory for upcoming instructional labs and research surgeries. Maintain all surgical instruments, tables, lights, and any other non-anesthetic equipment in the junior surgery in proper working order. Assist in maintaining the general overall cleanliness of the lab.
- Assist the faculty in instruction of veterinary students in aseptic technique, including preparation of the surgery patient, surgeon and instruments. Assist the faculty in training students in animal restraint and basic animal care. Assist the faculty in training veterinary students in techniques of injection, venipuncture, IV catheterization, endotracheal intubation, anesthetic maintenance, monitoring and anesthetic recovery. Supervise veterinary students in the administration of drugs for sedation, anesthesia, and analgesia
- Maintain in working order all anesthesia related equipment in the laboratory including vaporizers, anesthetic monitors, endotracheal tubes, blood pressure monitors, dopplers, bear huggers, heating pads and any other equipment necessary for the induction, maintenance and recovery from anesthesia. Provide anesthetic support including pre-anesthetic evaluation (when needed), premedication, IV catheterization, induction, endotracheal intubation, anesthetic maintenance, and recovery to the faculty performing research in the junior surgery lab and other areas of the hospital on an as needed bases when not needed for teaching laboratories.
- Provide technical assistance to the faculty and house officers performing surgical research
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree with three years of applicable experience OR Associates degree in Veterinary Technology with two years of applicable experience OR CVT or equivalent with two years of applicable experience OR two years of experience as an ACS 1 at LSU SVM.
ASSOCIATE CLINICAL SPECIALIST 3
- Demonstrate mastery and instruct a variety of medical and surgical procedures. To include all pre, peri and post operative aspects of patient care. Including patient basic exams and specialty exams (ie ortho and neuro). Emphasis on restraint, sterile technique, aspects of anesthesia, appropriate planning for minor surgical procedures, imaging diagnostics, collection and processing of tissue specimens. Provide basic nursing and technical skills to include IV catheter placement, EKG, blood pressure, dosage calculations and proper administration of medications via a variety of routes.
- Perform and instruct/ supervise daily observation and monitoring of study subjects on numerous simultaneous projects. Oversee and perform basic animal husbandry for research and study animals. Animal evaluation including temperature, pulse, respiration, assessment of appetite, mentation, and assessment of pain control or need for analgesia. Independently collect blood and a variety of other samples from study subjects as necessary. Label and prepare samples for storage, submission to in-house laboratory or shipment to outside facilities.
- Provide technical support for clinical research procedures for numerous simultaneous research projects involving multiple steps and a variety of materials and equipment primarily for Companion Animal Surgery but as time permits, for other specialties such as Dermatology, Medical & Radiation Oncology, Ophthalmology, Cardiology, Companion Animal Medicine, Anesthesiology, etc.
- Operate a variety medical equipment and troubleshoot and problem solve issues or complications. Provide general maintenance and quality control of a variety of medical equipment.
- Data management for numerous investigators and simultaneous projects, including data collection as well as development of computerized data recording and retrieval systems. Utilize basic computer skills to formulate appropriate data logs and input systems. Work cooperatively in conjunction with the other VCS Research Associate and student worker(s) to learn basic methods/procedures and laboratory safety as necessary for studies. Effectively communicate with pet owners, clinicians, and study sponsors as required by the study.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with four years of applicable experience OR Associates degree in Veterinary Technology with four years of applicable experience OR CVT or equivalent with four years of applicable experience OR seven years of experience working in an environment with similar duties.
Special or Physical Qualifications (ALL LEVELS):
Required to work a variety of shifts including nights, weekends, holidays, and "on-call"/relief shifts.
Required to be capable of lifting up to 40 pounds, standing or walking for prolonged periods, able to reach and/or climb a ladder, kneel or sit on the floor, bending, squatting, and/or twisting.
*Due to the nature of this position and/or responsibilities, this position is subject to random drug & alcohol testing in accordance with University Policy Statement 67*
Must have and maintain a valid class E driver's license.
Additional Job Description:
Special Instructions:A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
Please provide your resume and three professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address.
Posting Date:January 21, 2021
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):February 21, 2021
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
Essential Position (Y/N):
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity / equal access employer.
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu