Responsible for providing value-added proactive commercial legal services in diverse areas and handling increasingly complex legal matters and projects related to Oil and Gas Refining Operations, Marketing, Terminals, and Pipelines, and Transportation, including conducting legal research, participating in negotiations, drafting increasingly complex legal documents, drafting and reviewing contracts, and handling a variety of regulatory, corporate, financing and compliance related legal transactions. Persons employed in this job are expected to perform other legal service functions not enumerated herein but nonetheless related to Commercial Oil and Gas legal services commensurate with skill level and years of experience as an attorney.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctor Degree in Law plus a minimum of 3 to 5 years specified legal experience as an attorney.
- Currently licensed to practice law in Texas. Prior experience drafting and negotiating contracts related to Oil and Gas Refining Operations, Marketing, and Credit Operations, including sales and purchase contracts.
- Experience related to Oil and Gas Refining Operations, including marketing, pipelines, terminals, product supply, distribution, trading, and/or crude supply is preferred.
SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Ability to provide value-added and proactive legal services with respect to increasingly complex legal matters and to draft and negotiate increasingly complex legal documents and memoranda under minimal oversight.
Ability to collaborate with, and effectively utilize, internal and external counsel resources under minimal oversight.
Ability to make timely and appropriate decisions within areas of responsibility under minimal oversight.
Ability to identify and evaluate increasingly complex alternatives and recommend strategies and courses of action to assigned clients under minimal oversight.
Skills and ability to effectively use available technology resources.
Ability to proactively identify issues and problems related to assigned areas of responsibility and determine creative solutions.
Ability to answer complex legal questions.
Possesses professional demeanor for dealing with internal and external customers; ability to interact effectively and frequently with middle to senior management and staff.
Ability to work toward assigned objectives.
Ability to research, analyze, evaluate and interpret increasingly complex data, draw on past experience and apply legal principles to support findings and opinions.
Competent to work on diverse legal projects; recommend changes to system and procedures; independent judgment required frequently.
Ability to assess business implications of legal advice.
Ability to coordinate project teams relating to moderately complex legal issues in assigned areas.
Ability to develop and maintain professional and good working relationships with Legal Department and business client personnel.
Bilingual, Spanish preferred.
1. Provide advice and counsel related to Commercial Oil and Gas Legal Services, including transactional compliance pertaining to the operations of assets for CITGO’s Oil and Gas Refining, Terminals and Pipeline, Product Supply, Distribution and Trading, Marketing, Credit, Crude Supply, Government and Public Affairs business segments and CITGO’s affiliated Private Foundation (tax-exempt organization under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3)) and related to financing, and corporate and compliance related matters.
2. Draft, review, and negotiate sales and purchase contracts and other commercial contracts and transactions related to operations for CITGO Petroleum.
3. Assist Sr. Corporate Counsel with management of assigned commercial litigation.
4. Participate in legal strategies, review pleadings and briefs, may attend depositions, mediations, hearings, and trials. Any additional duties as requested by management.