Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
MasterClass is seeking an attorney with broad experience in commercial agreements, technology transactions, soft IP, and data privacy. The right candidate will have strong transactional skills as a drafter and negotiator, as well as an ability to apply these skills across technology, product, partnership, and other business initiatives. If you are someone who enjoys working on a variety of projects alongside stakeholders across multiple areas of a business, then this is a great role for you.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements, including technology, product, vendor, SaaS, professional services, licensing, and data sharing agreements
- Develop and implement playbooks, templates, and processes to enhance efficiency and streamline contract execution alongside internal business teams
- Supervise vendor management process, including negotiating and executing data processing addendums
- Maintain compliance with ongoing contractual obligations
- Work closely with cross-functional partners as a trusted business partner to achieve business outcomes without taking on unreasonable risks
- Problem solve across legal disciplines and functional areas, including product-related matters, data privacy, security, IP, HR, and finance
- Formulate and implement legal policy and processes across the organization
- Juris Doctorate degree from a top tier law school
- 4-6 years of total legal experience (1-3 years at a nationally-recognized law firm focusing on commercial transactions preferred; 1-3 years of broad-based, in-house transactional experience)
- Ability to structure, negotiate, and close a broad range of agreements, including technology, product, vendor, SaaS, professional services, licensing, and data sharing agreements
- Familiarity with data privacy and security laws and regulations
- Strong fluency in communicating legal concepts, issues and risks clearly and effectively
- Ability to provide pragmatic, business-oriented legal advice and guide stakeholders on approval processes, policies, and procedures
- Superior drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a startup environment
- Good judgment, as well as outstanding analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking capabilities
- Work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Active membership in at least one state bar
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.