Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
- We study problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- We pilot solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- We engage diverse communities in informed debate.
- And we harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our dayâ€”from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of people who are vulnerable, marginalized, and harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, and race equity. If you want to learn more about life at Vera click here.
What you'll do
The Associate Director with Veraâ€™s Vice President of Development to create and then implement Veraâ€™s fundraising plans, which include both quantitative and qualitative goals. The Associate Director collaborates closely with Veraâ€™s Development staff on plan implementation, helping to ensure the cohesion and smooth operation of a rapidly expanding team. The Associate Director carry a portfolio of individual and institutional donors based in California or other Western states, and partner with Veraâ€™s executives and program leaders to cultivate and solicit those donors. The Associate Director will identify and engage new prospective contributors to Vera in the Western states and produce cultivation events in those states. The Associate Director manages day-to-day Development activity in the Vice Presidentâ€™s absence.
The Associate Director's responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage a portfolio of individual and institutional donors based in Western states, partnering with Veraâ€™s executives and program leaders to cultivate and solicit those donors Provide monthly updates about the financial status of all funded programs.
- Collaborate with Development staff to smoothly and successfully implement fundraising plans, help build and maintain Development team cohesion and effectiveness Budget Modification & Proposal Submissions.
- Produce cultivation events in California and the West.
- Work with the VP of development to craft annual and multi-year fundraising plans and goals.
- Oversee Development activities in the Vice Presidentâ€™s activities.
- Other duties as assigned
What qualifications you will need
The Associate Director will have the following qualifications:
- 8 years of fundraising experience, with demonstrated success with hands-on major gifts and foundation relations work, as well as experience with multiple elements of non-profit development work
- Management experience on a fundraising team
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and donor relations
- Grant proposal and report writing skills, plus strong editing and communications skills
- Self-starter, willing to pitch in on any aspect of development in the spirit of hands-on collaboration with teammates
- Hands-on experience with donors in California and the West, and significant knowledge of the California philanthropic landscape
- Capable of working remotely - but collaboratively - with Vera Development teammates based in New York
- Comprehensive attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines
The Nitty - Gritty
- This is a full-time position available immediately
- This position is based in our Los Angeles, CA office
- Salary is competitive plus excellent benefits
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Online submission in PDF format (through Veraâ€™s career page) is preferred. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
ATTN: Human Resources / Development, Associate Director
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, please visit www.vera.org
Powered by JazzHR