DescriptionMedical Director careers at UnitedHealth Group are anything but ordinary. We push ourselves and each other to find smarter solutions. The result is a culture of performance that's driving the health care industry forward. Instead of seeing a handful of patients each day, your work may affect millions for years to come. Join us. And start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Associate Director of Oncology Transformationis responsible for providing leadership to ateam of field-based Oncology Transformation Consultants who are responsiblefor engaging Oncology provider groups to drive improved quality, reduced cost,improved patient experience and NPS.
The Associate Director of Oncology Transformation willlead multi-disciplined practice transformation and practice performanceimprovement initiatives, helping the provider groups move from fee-for-serviceto a value based payment model. The selected candidate will guidepractices in achieving targeted goals that include improved quality,efficiency, and utilization. The Associate Director of OncologyTransformation is accountable for driving practice progress toward desiredtransformational change and performance improvement, while meeting savingsgoals set for the practice. The AssociateDirector of Oncology Transformation will also be responsible for programmanagement of the UHC Cancer Episode Program.
The Associate Director of Oncology Transformation reportsdirectly to Population Health leadership in UCS. The AssociateDirector of Oncology Transformation will play an integral role in contentdevelopment, internal and external training, and ongoing refinement of theprogram. The Associate Director of OncologyTransformation will serve as the primary point of contact for practiceimprovement data and clinical transformation activities for the oncologypractices participating in the Cancer Episode Program. The AssociateDirector of Oncology Transformation will be responsible for communicatingprogress towards achievement of targeted goals to Senior Leadership both withinUnitedHealthcare and at the practice.
If you are located in Central, NE or SE Region / time zone,you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some toughchallenges. Travel to other states will be required up to 50% based on businessneeds.
- Provide leadership to ateam of Oncology Transformation Consultants who are charged withengaging Oncology provider groups to drive improved quality, reduced cost,improved patient experience and NPS.
- Provide leadership to inspire andmotivate teams for engagement, productivity, values and performance
- Develop and promote a talentmanagement plan that provides a strong and deep level of ready now talent toenable our growth
- Developstrong working relationships with Matrix leaders, including UnitedHealth Networks,Healthcare Economics, Clinician Leaders and Optum
- Assist and supportdepartment and company leaders in summarizing and disseminating experience -related learnings by way of team updates, written reports / articles, and / orpresentations
- Develop and maintain alibrary of related clinical resources for both internal and external useincluding best practices within the program, published literature, onlinesources, national programs, etc.
- Development of program andtracking tools including but not limited to an oncology driven clinical model,practice assessment, action plan, and standard presentation materials
- Accountable for leadingthe successful deployment of practice transformation of the UHC Cancer EpisodeProgram at the practice level, including but not limited to, introducing andeducating practices on the value/use of reporting tools and secure delivery ofreports.
- Obtain and prepareclinical data to identify areas of quality improvement, cost savings opportunitiesincluding but not limited to inpatient and ER utilization, ambulatory site ofservice, drug utilization, imaging, and ancillary services.
- Drive improved NPS in partnershipwith the NPS team to understand and address market variability
- Build and effectivelymaintain relationships with practice leadership and key clinical influencersactively involved in practice transformation
- Regularly facilitateefficient, effective practice improvement meetings with the practice tomonitor, present, and discuss progress on the transformation action plan andachievement in milestones
- Develop strategies;based on performance analysis, for improvement that includes specific outcomesand metrics to monitor progress to a goal and make recommendations for change managementstrategies, resulting in cost savings and improved member outcomes
- Support the practice indesigning practice transformation action plans and implement appropriateperformance improvement initiatives designed to assist the practice inachieving agreed upon transformation milestones
- Monitor and review theprogress of the practice in milestone achievement and insure the practice isaccountable for successful completion
- Use data to analyzetrends and work with stakeholders to agree on and implement proactivestrategies to address issues, and measure impact using a PDSA rapid cycleimprovement approach; including external practice data
- Assist practices increating work flows to optimize care delivery, introduce best practicesimprovements, and evaluate outcomes using rapid cycle improvements PDSA methodsto reach mutual goals
- Educate on and deploytechnology tools to support Practice Transformation
- Integrate technologytools into practice workflows
- Build and effectivelymaintain relationships with team members in the UHC Clinical organization andinternal matrix partners in support of the program
- Consult and guide thepractice on developing innovative solutions, including bringing best practiceexperience and connecting practices with other high performing practices tospur innovation
- Work with the practiceand Optum to align and integrate Optum care/disease management programs andpopulation health services to augment the practice’s capabilities, supporttheir care management efforts and add value to the patient care experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 5+ years oncology specific expertise including, but not limited to, oncology clinical experience, practice management or operations experience
- 3+ combined experience with improving clinical quality, health care analytics, or driving clinical transformation initiatives with population health programs including interpreting and utilizing clinical data analytics, outcomes measurement in healthcare and use of that data to drive change
- Experience in leading a team and/or managing direct reports
- History of successful collaboration and communication with senior level leadership- both clinical and business (internal and external)
- Excellent relationship building skills with demonstrated experience leading new teams developing and driving aligned goals.
- Strong communication, presentation and program management skills
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills with Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Must have access to high speed internet for home office set up
- Willingness to travel up to 50% for face to face meetings throughout the US
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to practice sites across the U.S.
- Possess strong emotional intelligence and able to work in highly matrixed organization
- Master's Degree inbusiness or health related field
- Experience in a largefull service Oncology provider group
- Experience in highlymatrixed organization
- Demonstrated experienceimplementing Clinical Practice Transformation initiatives designed to helpprovider or hospital groups achieve large-scale health transformation goals
- Success in movingproviders from fee for service to value based contracts
- Experience preparing andpresenting information to clinical and executive level leadership
- Experience with episodicpayment structure/methodology
- Active, unrestrictedlicensed professional in the State of Residence; including but not limited toRN, LISW, or Pharmacist
- Experience identifying,evaluating and collaborating with external business partners