Ensign Services, Inc. (ESI) seeks an experienced Associate General Counsel to assist in serving the health care regulatory and contract needs of our rapidly expanding client base across the United States. This position is based in ESI’s South Orange County Service Center.
About the Company
Ensign Services, Inc. (“ESI”) is a subsidiary of The Ensign Group, Inc. whose affiliated entities are considered a national leader in the fast growing post-acute care industry. ESI provides service and support to over 200 facilities on the long term care continuum that employ over 30,000 employees in more than a dozen states.
ESI is known as the “Service Center” and it provides the facilities and leaders it serves with necessary “back-office” support in areas such as accounting, construction, compliance, human resources, information technology, legal, risk management, and learning management. This structure allows on-site leaders and caregivers to focus squarely on day-to-day care and business issues in their individual operations. What sets ESI apart from other companies is the quality of our most valuable resource - our people. We take our core values of Celebration, Accountability, Passion for Learning, Love One Another, Intelligent Risk Taking, Customer Second, and Ownership (CAPLICO) seriously and strive to provide a work experience that proves it!
About the Opportunity
This position will provide legal guidance and support on regulatory, compliance and contract matters, especially as related to post-acute care operations. It requires expertise in State and Federal healthcare regulatory and reimbursement laws, including OBRA, the False Claims Act, the Federal Physician Self-Referral Law ("Stark Law"), the Anti-Kickback Statute, and their implementing regulations. The role will assist our client business entities and our internal Service Center partners in identifying and resolving legal/regulatory matters; reviewing and negotiating complex healthcare related contracts and reimbursement arrangements; advising on compliance with Federal and State healthcare industry laws and regulations; monitoring changes in relevant regulatory and reimbursement areas and educating others on same.
- Advise and assist field personnel and Service Center resources in the evaluation of regulatory issues and directives impacting their business operation
- Draft and negotiate contracts, including certain provider, vendor, and health plan agreements that minimize risk and maximize business goals,
- Working with managed care organization to ensure we are capturing revenue generates with the appropriate amount of risk,
- Lead and direct contracts managers by proving oversight and legal advice in connection with their process of reviewing all contracts for all Ensign affiliated operations across 14 states
- Provide advice and counsel to client facilities involving the application and interpretation of health care laws, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement regulations, and related Federal and State laws governing the delivery of care and reimbursement for services in a post-acute care setting
- Maintain subject matter expertise regarding applicable state and federal law and reimbursement regulations applicable to the post-acute care industry and the skilled nursing space
- Assess and mitigate business risks with a legal and regulatory impact
- Keep current with legislative and regulatory changes, and communicate changes to affected stakeholders including but not limited to participation on reimbursement regulatory committees
- Assist compliance partners as they implement the compliance program, including assisting with the management of compliance matters that present legal or regulatory risk to the organization
- Communicate the tactical and strategic legal needs of the operations to Service Center colleagues
- Proactively help ESI and its clients and affiliates manage legal risk as it impacts the operation of the involved service line
- Juris Doctorate degree with a minimum 5-7 years of legal practice in the healthcare industry (preferably in the post-acute care space)
- Prior legal experience within healthcare industry, either in house or with a law firm.
- At least one State Bar Admission and in good standing.
- Expertise in transactional healthcare matters.
- Substantial knowledge of health care fraud and abuse laws and regulations.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage several matters at one time in a fast-paced environment.
- High degree of maturity and professionalism.
- Exceptional presentation, writing and communication skills
- A servant-leader who thrives on providing excellent customer service in a high-energy and high-accountability environment and has experience leading and directing others
- A disciplined and self-motivated professional with solid work habits
- An all-around team player who views no task as too large or too small, and who is passionate about the organization, its mission and the people it serves
- An active listener, who displays good judgment, inspires confidence and handles confidential matters with absolute discretion
- A positive and energetic person with a great sense of humor and a strong desire to help others perform and grow
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills, with a strong team orientation
- Professional demeanor and executive presence
- Ability to give clear direction and produce consistently outstanding results
- A culture leader who can model and teach our unique culture across the organization
ESI offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive base salary and benefits, plus eligibility for bonuses.
If you believe you can meet the expectations outlined above, please submit your resume with salary history/requirements along with a brief cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for our organization.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Position Type: Full Time Employee
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life & AD&D Insurance Plans, 401k, vacation, sick and holiday pay
Location: Service Center, San Juan Capistrano, California; travel required
The employer for this position is stated in the job posting. Ensign Services, Inc. provides recruiting services for operations in the skilled nursing, assisted living, home health and hospice industries.