ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
This position is a great opportunity for a litigation-focused attorney to join a collegial in-house legal department of a California-based financial institution. The position will involve management of the Company's litigation, litigation-related projects, and disputes involving various subject matters and all exposure levels. An ideal candidate is someone with 15 years of litigation experience, including representation of financial institutions, with a strong desire to handle a wide variety of disputes. The candidate should also have a strong understanding of the litigation and legal exposure relating to emerging privacy and information security laws.
This position will provide litigation support to City National Bank and its managed affiliates. Substantial expertise in state and federal court litigation, eDiscovery, and pre-litigation dispute resolution is required. Experience with most of the following is strongly preferred: privacy and information security, information governance, lender liability, class action/Private Attorney General Actions, and financial crimes. Experience with loan collection, AML/BSA, and/or bankruptcy, is a plus, but not required.
This position requires the ability to provide legal advice and counsel with respect to multiple subject matter areas and across various lines of business. The position also involves providing advice and counsel to various levels of executives and management as well as advice relating to the Bank's overall business and legal strategies.
Legal and Corporate Administration Group
Make a meaningful difference as a member of City National's Legal & Corporate Administration Group, the area of the bank that manages legal and corporate governance, community reinvestment, corporate premises and corporate security.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
* Day to day management of litigation matters and disputes of all levels of exposure, including management of outside counsel relationships, fact investigations, legal holds, discovery, case strategy, budgets, and settlement negotiations; provide practical and strategic advice and counseling to internal clients to help resolve disputes while balancing risk and business objectives.
* Responsible for e-Discovery, including development of e-Discovery program, compliance with e-Discovery obligations, policies, and procedures, and management of collection, review, and production of electronically stored information.
* Manage litigation and regulatory risk associated with the implementation and use of technology, including privacy and data security issues.
* Provide legal support for internal and external investigations, including criminal subpoenas and investigations; work with law enforcement as necessary.
* Manage personnel responsible for third party discovery, assist with responses to third-party subpoenas and other similar requests/demands.
* Provide guidance on risks resulting from violations of legal, regulatory, or contractual obligations and conformance with the organization's policies and procedures involving legal and compliance matters.
* Provides counsel and assistance to Bank management and other colleagues with respect to a wide range of legal matters, which could include conducting research, preparing opinions, resolving disputes, drafting documents, and consummating transactions.
* Acts in a leadership role within both the Legal Division and the Bank as a whole and engage in high level decision making.
* Provide advice and counsel with respect to internal matters of a significant nature.
* Partners with business units and support groups (e.g., compliance, product, marketing, lending units, and risk management) to provide effective and efficient legal, transactional and regulatory guidance.
* Provide reports and legal updates to Bank management on pending legal matters.
* Participate and take a leadership role in the successful completion of enterprise initiatives and projects within area of expertise, including the rollout of new products and the implementation of new regulatory requirements.
* Identify regulatory and legal gaps within area of expertise and assists in addressing such gaps.
* Manage certain Legal Division colleagues, which may include attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff.
* Comply fully with all Bank policies and procedures, including the Colleague Code of Conduct, as well as all legal and regulatory requirements.
* Complete all required training.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
* *JD (Juris Doctor)
* *Minimum 15 years of litigation experience, with experience representing financial institutions.
* *Admitted to practice law in California or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in California.
Skills and Knowledge
* Effective at working with others in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent projects.
* Extremely well organized and detail-oriented.
* Positive, personable, strong interpersonal skills, and a "can-do" attitude.
* Ability to interface effectively within all levels of the organization and to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues, business leaders, and executives.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Be well versed in state and federal laws and regulations governing the assigned area(s) of responsibility, banking environment, and related industry practices.
* Demonstrate experience in analyzing, interpreting and communicating legal strategies and requirements, and the ability to translate complex legal requirements into written materials and oral presentations.
* Excellent problem solving abilities and effective verbal, written and executive communication and presentation skills.
* Flexibility and ability to work well with a team.
* Ability to work on cross-functional teams with emphasis in multiple coverage areas.
* Experience with managing confidential information and documents with discretion.
* Strong business sense and ability to exercise good business judgement is critical.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled