Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a talented and flexible attorney to work on Facebook’s legal privacy team and advise the company on a range of privacy, data protection and security-related legal and compliance initiatives for Facebook, Instagram, and/or WhatsApp.
1. Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws (including state and federal consumer protection and privacy laws, GDPR and other global privacy laws) and advise on the impact of the same on Facebook’s business
2. Assist product lawyers in evaluating the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features
3. Support members of the legal, business, and policy teams on privacy and security-related legal matters, including areas related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities
4. Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving privacy analysis and compliance with stakeholders across Facebook's business, policy, legal, communications, security, and other departments
5. Develop regulatory strategy with global privacy regulators in connection with new product features and initiatives and maintain Facebook’s ongoing privacy-by-design processes
6. Help draft and oversee the development and management of Facebook's (and its affiliates') terms and data policies across the full range of Facebook’s different products
7. Help to develop and conduct general and role-specific privacy trainings across Facebook
8. Manage internal privacy compliance programs and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under those programs
9. Assist product lawyers in evaluating the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features
10. 8+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm and/or prior in-house experience with internet or technology companies (applicable litigation, regulatory, or product counseling will be considered)
11. J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
12. Experience prioritizing work and providing advice under deadlines
13. Business judgment and client counseling experience
14. Experience advancing projects in a multi-stakeholder environment
15. Experience with global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially including those relevant for social media and Internet companies
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.