Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
MasterClass is seeking a seasoned transactional attorney with broad experience in technology and media. A successful candidate will help shape the company’s risk profile, make impactful legal and business decisions, and have an opportunity to hire and manage a small team of legal professionals. They will be expected to have a broad understanding of MasterClass’s business and products to ensure that all legal issues impacting the company are addressed and resolved.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements, with a focus on talent, music, partnership, distribution, and marketing agreements
- Counsel on a range of corporate matters, including corporate governance, equity administration and corporate transactions
- Collaborate cross-functionally with finance, HR, senior leadership, and other members of the MasterClass team (including marketing, business development, production, and content)
- Advise on class production, talent, and other content creation matters
- Formulate legal policy and processes across the organization
- Grow and lead a team of attorneys and legal professionals
- Juris Doctorate degree from a top tier law school
- 12-15 years of total legal experience (experience at nationally-recognized law firm focusing on corporate transactions as well as broad-based, in-house transactional experience at a technology, education, or media company with consumer-facing products)
- Strong understanding of content creation, technology, and media distribution
- Superior drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a startup environment
- Outstanding analytical ability, high judgment and strategic thinking capabilities
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally and to drive cross-functional alignment and action
- Experience hiring and managing legal professionals
- Work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.