Group Nine Media is seeking an attorney join its growing Legal and Business Affairs Team. Reporting to the Senior Counsel on the Legal and Business Affairs Team, the role will involve providing a full range of legal functions, with a focus on day-to-day client advice and counsel, contract drafting and negotiation, content licensing and distribution, and problem-solving. This person will need to articulate positions and concepts that come up in the media/entertainment industry in a way that balances the business needs with legal considerations. They will serve as a trusted and knowledgeable point of contact for the divisional business leaders.
Company: Group Nine Media, Inc.
Title: Associate Counsel (Entertainment and Production)
Location: New York, NY or San Francisco, CA
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as dedicated legal support for POPSUGAR, Thrillist, NowThis and other company client groups as assigned, advising primarily on entertainment and production-related matters, including intellectual property rights, guild/union issues, content clearance and distribution, rights and permissions tracking, adhering to company production and development standards, publicity and privacy rights, business partnerships, and other matters related to scripted, unscripted, and live programming. Occasionally support ad sales and other commercial matters.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate agreements for the development, optioning, distribution, and licensing of digital programming (including rights acquisitions and clearances)
- Handle day-to-day production legal matters including pre-publication review, negotiating above and below-the-line talent/host, producer, director, and showrunner agreements, appearance and materials releases, and other production-related agreements.
- Manage relationships with external production and development partners including outside counsel, talent agencies, rights and clearance consultants, and production services companies.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JD degree, admission to New York or California State Bar (must be in good standing), and at least 3 years of relevant work experience (relevant entertainment law experience a must; in-house experience at a digital media company preferred).
- Basic understanding of the universe of transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media company, including content production and distribution, digital advertising, data security, and personnel management. Experience with privacy regulations, sweepstakes and promotions, and/or product counseling a plus.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on tight deadlines while remaining organized, composed, and thoughtful.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and understanding of relevant technology, including various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms. Willingness to adopt new tools and systems.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.