The Law Offices of Michael C. Tromello, a CNA Litigation Counsel Office located in Melville, NY, is seeking an experienced Associate Attorney to assist with Architects Engineers professional liability litigation matters.
This role, under technical direction, provides legal services to the General Liability Claim Department. This role handles professional liability litigation matters arising out of claims against architects engineers.
Has ongoing relationship and accountability for the department or specialty being served. Work assignments consist of drafting pleadings, discovery demands responses, dispositive motions, trials and other litigation tasks involving problems of moderate complexity and severity.
The office covers cases venued in Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Experience in Queens County highly preferred.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
- Works with other attorneys to handles insurance defense or coverage matters from pleadings through trial. Participates in litigation preparation, driving for superior results. Actively assists in bringing case to resolution with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- May participates in bench and jury trials in both state and federal court as necessary. May assist in multiple aspects of cases including handling court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
- Communicates regularly and concisely with clients, claim professionals, leadership and others to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
- Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
- Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
- Counsels client/management/claim professionals to avoid legally unsound decisions or plans and when changes in the law occur.
- Collaboratively works with clients, claim professionals, underwriting, risk control and other 3rd parties while resolving legal issues
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director and Managing Trial Attorney or above
Skills, Knowledge Abilities
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
- Good verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Strong consultative skills with the ability to effectively collaborate and interact with internal and external business partners,
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to recognize and address ambiguous situations and issues.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software ie TeamConnect or other case management software.
- Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the client/organization.
- Helps self to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
- Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
- Raises expectations of self by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
- Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the bar of at least one state. May require specific state license.
- Typically a minimum of one to two years of legal experience in claims and/or law firm is desired.
- May require specific technical/functional area legal experience.