Associate Medical Director of Hospice
Steward Home Care (Westwood)
Part-Time 7 – 10 hours per week
The Associate Medical Director of Hospice assumes overall responsibility for the medical component of the hospice patient care program of Steward Home Care. The Associate Medical Director of Hospice is responsible as a member of the interdisciplinary team for developing, maintaining and monitoring all policies and standards of the medical activities of the Hospice Program of Steward Home Care.
- Confirm patient eligibility for hospice services in accordance with hospice program policy
- Sign and date all initial hospice certifications, initial plans of care, and re-certifications of terminal illness and verifies that the clinical information is necessary for certification/recertification is present within the required time frame
- Consult with physicians about potential hospice patients as indicated
- Confirm the statement of prognosis for each patient admitted to the hospice program
- Serve as consultant with the patient’s primary physician as requested
- Participate in IDT meetings with emphasis on the medical management of patient’s plans of care
- Assist in developing plan of care for each patient/family
- Consult with attending physicians and hospice staff as requested so that pain and symptom management for patients is effectively and expeditiously accomplished
- Coordinate efforts with attending physician to provide medical care if he/she is unavailable
- Consult with team members on an on-call basis for medical issues relating to the patient/family plan of care
- Serve as medical liaison with professional referral sources in community and promote referrals
- Provide for twenty-four hour availability of physician coverage in accordance with hospice program policy
- Offer advice and information to staff and referring physicians on medical interventions consistent with hospice program policy, hospice philosophy and the plan of care
- Present or arrange for orientation and education presentation for interdisciplinary team members involved in patient care
- Participate in community programs for the purpose of providing education and information to members of the medical community
- Other assignments as may be appropriate
- Physician duly licensed under the provision of the Massachusetts General Laws
- Demonstrated knowledge and well developed skills in:
- Medicine, Oncology, Pharmacology
- Pain and symptom control
- Psychology of loss
- Demonstrated understanding and acceptance of hospice principles of care
- Must devote a minimum of seven (7) hours per week to performance of the Hospice Program Administrative Services
At Steward Home Care, we are committed to providing exceptional quality health care in the comfort of the patient’s home. Our specially trained clinicians and therapists provide home health, hospice and private care services. We offer a full suite of comprehensive home care services including complete nursing and rehabilitative care as well as disease management programs and telehealth. Additionally, our clinicians and therapists are able to utilize some of the most advanced technology available to support their practice and decision-making.
Steward Health Care, the largest private hospital operator in the United States, is a physician-led health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the communities where patients live. Steward's unique health care service delivery model leverages technology, innovation, and care coordination to keep patients healthier.
Steward operates 36 community hospitals in ten states that employ approximately 37,000 people and regularly receives top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes more than 26 urgent care centers, 42 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,300 beds under management, and more likely 1.1 million covered lives through the company’s managed care and health insurance services. Steward is recognized as one of the nation’s leading accountable care organizations.
For a complete listing of opportunities/locations and to apply online, please visit our careers website at:
At Steward, we believe in honesty, integrity and the importance of community care. More importantly, we believe in our people. We offer competitive salaries and benefits.
All inquiries will remain confidential.
Steward Health Care System is an equal opportunity employer.