The AVP, Controller has College-wide responsibility for the oversight of accounting activities, reporting, and financial services. Develops and monitors internal control environments; establishes and implements accounting policies and procedures; develops and issues internal and external reports; coordinates financial audit and tax and regulatory reporting; and oversees all accounting and treasury management. Collaborates with financial stakeholders throughout the College. Advises the CFO and other College leaders on accounting best practices. Directs and oversees the financial services office (including accounts payable), student accounts office, purchasing (including shipping and receiving), and payroll.
Planning & Administration - 20% of time
- Formulates goals and objectives for the division in accordance with the overall mission and goals of the institution.
- Participates with the President, CFO and other senior officers in institutional planning, policy development, and problem resolution.
- Stay current on accounting policies and best practices relevant to higher education.
Accounting, Audit and Controls - 70% of time
- Oversee accurate, timely and effective management of the general ledger and accounting records for the College, including all unrestricted and restricted funds.
- Coordinate the independent financial audit, federal compliance audit, other external audits, and preparation of tax and regulatory reports. Ensure compliance with all tax and regulatory requirements.
- Establish College accounting policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with Board policies, state and federal requirements, and generally accepted accounting standards.
- Develop and maintain an effective, well-documented internal control environment. Oversee regular risk assessment process.
- Assist in the review and development of, and oversee compliance with, accounting and financial aspects of contracts, grants, and other awards.
- In coordination with IT departments, oversee financial system upgrades and implementations.
- Assure safeguarding and tracking of all assets, including cash, investments, and fixed assets.
- Oversee an effective training program for managers with financial responsibilities throughout the College.
- Oversee office of purchasing (including shipping and receiving).
- Oversee office of student accounts.
- Oversee payroll processing function.
- Coordinate closely with Enrollment, Development, Educational Technology Support and Budget Manager.
Personnel & Staffing Management - 10% of time
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the division's overall goals and objectives in a cost effective manner.
- Direct and oversee the hiring, development, management, and evaluation of divisional staff.
- Manages the Director of Financial Services, Payroll Manager, Purchasing Manager and Associate Director of Student Accounts
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
- At least 8 years of experience in higher education accounting.
- At least 3 years experience overseeing all accounting functions for an organization, preferably a private college.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification required; active license preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals, organization, and financial management of a private college.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Strong human resources development and management skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision making skills.
- Organizational planning, structuring, and staffing skills.