Assurance supports the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company and its affiliates by identifying risks to the operations of the company, and evaluating the potential for those risks to harm the company, our associates, our advisers or our policyholders. We conduct engagements across the organization to provide assurance to our stakeholders that Penn Mutual and its affiliates are operating in a manner consistent with our values, guiding principles and operational risk appetite.
In this role, you will continue to advance Assurance’s data analytics and automation initiatives and support the departments ongoing audit activities. Our department has an existing Continuous Audit and Data Analytics program that we will continue to develop and refine.
The successful candidate will have strong data analysis skills and the ability to write their own analytics scripts (e.g. in R, Python or other languages). They will also have a passion for learning and a desire to grow their skillset. The right candidate will have the opportunity to develop their understanding of additional areas, for example, Cyber Security, Machine Learning and Regulatory Compliance.
You will gain broad exposure to the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company and its subsidiaries, which include Broker Dealers, Asset Managers and other Life Insurance Companies. You will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with associates from across the organization.
- Automate manual testing and monitoring efforts by developing and maintaining tools, software and scripts to perform data analytics (e.g. exception reporting, trending and outlier analysis).
- Analyze business data and work with other team members to understand and communicate how business processes are operating and determine if operating in alignment with organizational expectations.
- Support departmental dashboard reporting over monitoring and testing conducted by maintaining in-house reporting tools and assistance with troubleshooting.
- Learn and apply new analysis techniques (e.g. machine learning) to our analytics programs and help to refine our analytics infrastructure.
- Perform and/or assist with other testing, monitoring and audit activities as required.
- Ability to perform ETL work, including parsing and processing file formats like json, xml, delimited and text files.
- Queries and interacts with different data platforms (RDBMS, RESTful web services).
- Can visualize data to communicate the right information to different targeted audiences.
- Understands basic software development techniques.
- Strong technical understanding of IT Infrastructure, logical data models and data movement.
- Possesses strong written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills. Is able to effectively interact and build relationships inside and outside the department at a range of levels (executives, leaders, associates).
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability, collegiality and team player orientation.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent in Management Information Systems (MIS), Business Analytics, Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, Technology or Mathematics required.
- 2-4 years of experience working with data analytics, software development and/or automation related activities.
- Experience with analytics techniques and analytics tools (e.g. R, Python, MS PowerBI, Tableau, SQL Developer – R or Python experience preferred).
- Experience or exposure to working on an Agile team a positive.
Salary Level = 19-21
All Associates Exemplify Our Penn Mutual Values:
Acting With Integrity—we have the conscious intention to do the right thing.
Respecting One Another—we see each other’s distinctiveness as a valued asset.
Focusing on Relationships—we foster meaningful connections with others.
Sustaining Our Legacy—we are trusted guardians for what we promise.
A Shared Sense of Belonging—we evoke our place as part of a world that we influence and influences us.
For Leadership roles within Penn Mutual, we believe the below characteristics are essential:
Execution Focused – “Gets it done” and drives progress and results towards strategic objectives.
Strategic – “Sees the big picture and challenges boundaries, takes risks and innovates to execute and advance Penn Mutual’s strategy.
Authentic – “Keeps it real” and is principled, transparent, trustworthy and accountable.
Decisive – “Makes the call” and demonstrates courage, confidence and a bias for action.
Empowering – “Develops people” and sets clear expectations, delegates effectively and encourages risk taking.
Influential – “Sets the tone” and inspires, motivates and persuades others through their decisions and actions.
Penn Mutual is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We provide employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified applicants and associates, according to applicable laws. This is reflected in our practices for hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment, compensation, selection or training, and all other terms and conditions of employment. All employment-related decisions and practices are free from unlawful discrimination. This includes: race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship age, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic partnership or civil union status, marital status, genetic information, disability, religious observance or practice, liability, veteran status or any other classification protected under applicable law.
Leaders may, at their discretion, change the responsibilities in this position description at any time due to reasonable accommodation and/or other business reasons.
About the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company
Penn Mutual is committed to helping people live life with confidence. At the heart of this purpose is the belief that life insurance is central to a sound financial plan. Through our network of trusted advisers, we are dedicated to helping individuals, families and businesses achieve their dreams. Penn Mutual supports its advisers with retirement and investment services through its wholly owned subsidiary Hornor, Townsend & Kent, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Visit Penn Mutual at www.pennmutual.com.