Urbana School District #116
TITLE: Athletic Coach
LOCATION:Urbana High School
SUPERVISOR: Athletic Director/Assistant Principal, Urbana High School
JOB SUMMARY:Under general direction of the Athletic Director/Assistant Principal, this position is responsible for coaching and providing direction to student athletes so that they have the opportunity to achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork in their respective sport.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses players skills and assigns team positions.
- Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the athletics director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Assigns duties to an assistant coach as necessary (if applicable).
- Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment and techniques of the sport.
- Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Determines game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior and provides proper supervision of athletes at all times.
- Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete’s injury.
- Conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the athletic performance of their student.
- Follows state, regional and district regulations governing the athletic program.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials and spectators.
- Acts as a team representative and promotes the sport by communicating with the news media, booster clubs, service clubs and other organizations.
- Follows established procedures for the proper care, maintenance and requisitioning of equipment, supplies and uniforms.
- Works with the athletic director to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
- Participates in special activities to include parent’s night, banquets, award nights and pep assemblies.
- Maintains eligibility forms, emergency data cards, insurance records, equipment inventory and other related records.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Attends staff development meetings, clinics and other professional activities to improve coaching performance.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal & Athletic Director or other appropriate administrator.
- Illinois Teaching License
- ASEP Certification
- Illinois Substitute Teaching Certificate
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is based on a stipend determined through the Urbana School District #116 and UEA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the current supervisor, Athletic Director/Assistant Principal and/or head coach of the program.
NOTE: This is not a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
REVISED: September, 2015