Athletic Trainer Overview:
Under the direction of a physician, you will function as a physician extender by ensuring efficient flow of patient visits during office hours. He/she will work closely with the physician to ensure a cohesive approach to injury management and prevention. Key responsibilities will include preparing medical records for client visits, providing medical information to clinicians to allow for personalization of evaluations, and coordinating/overseeing the follow-up process. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited, to assisting with procedures, patient education, and implementing the treatment plan.
In addition to the Athletic Trainer role, you will assist with administrative tasks in the office. The administrative responsibilities in the office include, but not limited to: scheduling patient appointments, patient check out, filing/scanning records, procedures/medication authorizations, and answering a high volume of phone calls. Your role is essential to promoting a professional atmosphere through courteous communication, cooperation and respect for patients, visitors and members of the health care team.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Athletic Trainer Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and oversee follow-up process to maintain continuation of care
- Obtain medical records prior to client visits
- Organize and maintain client charts
- Assist in development of program procedures and protocols
- Coordinate clinician referral process and maintain referral network database
- Create personalized exercise programs for patients in relevant systems/databases
- Organize patient information/charts (i.e., results and outside notes) for physician review prior to appointment
- Provide general patient education and field patient questions
- Under physician supervision, assist with answering phone calls
- Under physician supervision, develop appropriate fitness and training programs for patients including home exercise and activity modifications
- Assist with coordinating testing, physical therapy and physician referrals, medication prescriptions, and follow up visits as recommended by the physician
- Document progress patient has made towards desired outcomes
- Maintain clear and legible history and physical documentation and all other reports as requested by the physician
- Act as a liaison between physician, nursing, and office staff to promote effective and efficient patient care.
Administrative Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create, scan and file patient charts
- File medical documentation and patient charts where applicable
- Prepare patient charts in anticipation of office hours where applicable.
- Scan medical records into EMR system
- All patient charts and documents must have double identifiers (ex. Name and date of birth)
- Any documents being scanned or filed into patient chart must be checked for double identifier and placed in appropriately identified section
- No ‘results’ document is to be scanned or filed into patient chart until MD has reviewed and signed.
- Answer telephone, route callers, take messages and provide routine information to callers in a professional and efficient manner.
- Schedule patient appointments and other ancillary tests
- Obtain prior authorizations
- Licensed by the Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers (A.T., C)
- Bachelors in Sports Medicine or related field
- CPR & ACL certified
- Minimum of 2 years of experience
- Heavy physical activity
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform other duties as assigned.