The Athletic Trainer will assist physicians and provide education and training to patients.
The Athletic Trainer will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Athletic Trainer will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Athletic Trainer will:
- Liaison between patient, physician or physician office staff.
- Room patients and document vitals and other required data.
- Document patient histories and initial evaluations.
- Design and educate patients on home exercise protocols per the physician’s request.
- Setup and educate patients of in-office procedures.
- Prepares for and assists physician with in-office procedures.
- Fits patients with braces and crutches.
- Triage patient messages, phone calls and questions, resolving issues within the scope of practice or utilizing physician, nurse triage and other ancillary staff as needed.
- Maintain clinic flow between areas of the Clinic.
- Counsel patients regarding diagnosis, treatment options, and outcomes.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
- Reports directly to Clinic Practice Manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in athletic training from a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
- National certification by completing the Board of Certification, Inc. (BOC) examination.
- Possess an Illinois athletic training licensure, certification, or registration. NPI number required.
- Two years of related experience preferred.
- Knowledge of a large range of medical problems. Assessment and evaluation skills and the ability of working with other healthcare professionals.
- Attention to detail in order to take notes on patient recovery.
- Interpersonal Skills, keeping a calm demeanor when talking to patients, medical professionals, staff and families.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks with little or no supervision.