PN#20668 ATTORNEY - SECTION CHIEF (DISASTER)
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients,
• Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals,
• Integrity & Candor – Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior,
• Dignity & Diversity – Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual,
• Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives.
Comprised of over 100 of Houston's finest attorneys across ten sections, the Legal Department has the pivotal role of providing litigation support, negotiating and drafting contracts, handling taxation matters, advising on personnel actions, dealing with the acquisition of sale of City property, overseeing City elections, drafting ordinances, advising on ethics and conflicts of interest, and dealing with neighborhood protection and quality of life issues. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto – "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The City of Houston seeks applicants for the position of Section Chief of a new Disaster Recovery Section ("DRS") within the Legal Department. The applicant should have an extensive background in disaster related rules and regulations promulgated by federal, state and local governments, as well as demonstrated understanding of Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) rules and regulations, as well as transactional and/or administrative law expertise.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Interviewing and hiring attorneys and staff for the Section.
• Counseling client departments on the administration of disaster recovery funds.
• Negotiating and drafting contracts.
• Counseling client departments on procurement procedures.
• Supervising section attorneys and staff and conducting performance reviews.
• Drafting, reviewing or revising city policies.
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Houston, TX, Texas