PN#20842 ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY I - MUNICIPAL PROSECUTING
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients,
• Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals,
• Integrity & Candor – Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior,
• Dignity & Diversity – Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual,
• Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives.
Comprised of over 100 of Houston's finest attorneys across ten sections, the Legal Department has the pivotal role of providing litigation support, negotiating and drafting contracts, handling taxation matters, advising on personnel actions, dealing with the acquisition of sale of City property, overseeing City elections, drafting ordinances, advising on ethics and conflicts of interest, and dealing with neighborhood protection and quality of life issues. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto – "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department is seeking an energetic, motivated and focused attorney to prosecute in the City of Houston Municipal Courts. Experience in criminal or municipal law is appreciated, but not required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Representing the State of Texas and City of Houston in Municipal Court prosecutions of Class C misdemeanor cases arising under City Ordinances and other laws of the State of Texas before both judges and juries
- Performing citizen intake and direct-filing of cases
- Researching and analyzing ordinances, statutes, case law, administrative opinions, rules of procedure and evidence and drafting legal memoranda thereon
- Interacting extensively with the public, other members of the Bar, judges, court personnel, police officers and inspectors
- Conducting, reviewing and preparing discovery
- Representing the City of Houston and State of Texas in civil and administrative hearings
- Researching, analyzing and drafting criminal complaints
- Performing legal research and preparing formal and informal legal opinions regarding criminal and municipal law
- Counseling the city's departments about city ordinances and state statutes
- Assisting the City Attorney and others with special projects such as drafting City Attorney Legal Opinions
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Houston, TX, Texas