Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking an Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager reporting directly to the Director of Attorney Recruiting, Director of Attorney Development and Office Hiring Partner and residing in the Washington, D.C. office.
The Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Washington, D.C. office’s attorney recruiting and development functions including lateral attorney and Summer Associate hiring, overseeing the annual Summer Associate program, collaborating with the Human Resources department on attorney new hire orientations, managing and participating in Hiring Committee meetings, implementing firm training programs, and supervising assigned department staff. The Attorney Recruiting & Development Manager is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Manage all aspects of the lateral attorney recruitment program, ensuring appropriate communication and coordination with candidates, firm attorneys, administrative management, and any third-party recruiters.
- Meet with Practice Group Leaders and/or their designees to determine hiring requirements for lateral attorney openings. Secure approval of openings from the Office Hiring Partner and Firmwide Hiring Partner.
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with third-party recruiters and execute standard search firm agreements
- Prepare attorney position postings for the firm’s external website.
- Conduct due-diligence with attorney candidates (e.g., references, bar admission verifications, conflicts checks, etc.).
- Oversee on-campus interviewing program.
- Plan, organize and administer the Washington, D.C. office Summer Associate program. Duties include participating in all events, organizing the Washington, D.C. Summer Associate orientation, planning local Summer Associate training programs, tracking expenses, coordinating Summer Associate reviews, assisting as needed in the work assignment process, and other tasks.
- Participate in office Hiring Committee meetings and hiring recommendations.
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with top-tier law schools. Manage sponsorships and outreach for the Washington, D.C. law schools.
- Prepare offer letters and relevant materials.
- Participate in Associates Committee meetings and assist with programming, projects and initiatives.
- Participate in Diversity & Inclusion Council, and Firm Resource Group meetings and assist with programming, projects and initiatives related to attorney recruiting and development.
- Manage firmwide attorney recruiting and development projects as requested.
- Prepare relevant reports and presentations.
- Prepare and monitor office recruiting and retention statistics.
- Coordinate attorney arrivals/departures with the Human Resources department.
- Participate in new hire orientation for all incoming attorneys.
- Oversee implementation of firmwide attorney development and other training programs for the Washington, D.C. office attorneys.
- Manage local participation in firmwide surveys include Vault and the American Lawyer’s Mid-Level Associate and Summer Associate surveys.
- Provide guidance regarding state bar dues, bar admissions and continuing education requirements for Washington, D.C. attorneys.
- Participate in scheduled Attorney Recruiting & Development conference calls and meetings.
- Build relationships with and serve as a resource and trusted advisor for attorneys in the Washington, D.C. office.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget in consultation with the Chief Legal Talent Officer, the Director of Attorney Recruiting and the Director of Attorney Development.
- Supervise assigned department employees.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in legal recruiting in a law firm required, with at least three years in a managerial role desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Experience in working with attorney recruiting databases required.
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers; attorneys; office, firm and practice management; and outside business partners
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects with specific deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to use initiative and judgment to accomplish results
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to delegate and manage resources effectively
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility