Audio/Speech Signal Processing Engineer
Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country’s toughest national security problems?
Are you a creative engineer who always finds a way to overcome obstacles?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Our team provides innovative solutions and insights to the DoD and IC. We are seeking talented engineers, scientists, and software developers to help us deliver game changing capabilities to our sponsors. As part of our team you will develop and evaluate advanced speech processing algorithms and implementations. This will include performing modeling and simulation for a variety of audio, speech, and human language processing applications. You will also design and conduct acoustic testing, both in the lab and in the field, for speech applications and advanced acoustic/vibration sensors.
About the job: we will trust you with the following responsibilities...
• As an Audio/Speech Signal Processing Engineer you will optimize speech algorithms for real-time and embedded processor implementations.
• You will test and evaluate speech algorithms (intelligibility, speaker ID, voice activity, blind source separation) and advanced concept microphone arrays. Support other APL groups in applying speech processing applications.
• You will develop algorithms and advanced machine learning techniques for audio applications such as speech modeling, 3D audio rendering, speech recognition, blind source separation, and speaker ID.
• You will prepare technical reports, test plans, and project plans.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Are you up for the job? We are actively searching for someone who…
• Has a M.S. in Math, Physics, EE, CE, CS or related engineering discipline.
• Has Experience in speech, audio, or acoustics signal processing.
• Understands theoretical acoustics and is able to perform modeling and simulation preferably in MATLAB.
• Works effectively with other engineers, scientists, and technicians as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
• Has strong problem solving and personal communication skills.
• Is willing and able to apply for a TS/SCI government clearance. Security eligibility requires US citizenship.
We would be even more impressed by someone who…
- Has a Ph.D. in Math, Physics, Electrical, Computer, or related engineering discipline
- Has demonstrated experience and expertise in speech and human language processing technologies.
- Has ands on development experience in a major machine learning/deep learning framework.
- Has 5+ years of experience in speech and human language processing technologies.
About APL: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings exceptional expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of meaningful, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. APL employees enjoy generous benefits, flexible work schedules, and healthy work/life balance. APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Special Working Conditions: Limited travel will be required. Candidates must be eligible for DoD clearance requiring background investigation and/or polygraph.
Security: Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.